geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Scott Anderson <portlet...@yahoo.com>
Subject deploying minimal web app
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 23:09:38 GMT

Jeremy Boynes wrote:

>> The biggest issues that have been recently biting
the Pluto team have
>> been related to Tomcat's implementation of cross
context support for
>> the portal driver war and portlet wars. This
functionality lets
>> portlets access shared portlet sessions and
contexts. How would I
>> turn on a web app context's crossContext behavior
in the
>> Geronimo/Jetty or JOE environments?

> This seems to be an ongoing issue with portlets.
AIUI there are rules in
> the portlet spec that enforce isolation between
portlet sessions to
> prevent them interfering with each other; this makes
it hard to share
> information though :-(

I was not as clear as I could have been. I was
referring to a problem Tomcat was having preserving
portlet application sessions so that portlets within
the same portlet application could share data and find
the right application context. This problem was
related to Tomcat not properly preserving the session
id used when the portal driver web appplication
forwarded a client request to a portlet in a portlet
application. I believe the tricky part was related to
cookie management.

I was not advocating that portlet applications share
their data with other portlet applications. I believe
portlet security will be a big issue requiring secure
messaging and data interchange as well as portlet
sandboxes. You could even see portlet DRM wrappers. I
hear talk of portlet messaging being included in the
next portlet spec. I would like to see a solution that
leverages something like the infobus.

> The easiest way to share the libraries is to bundle
the portal and
> portlet wars together into an ear and then add the
libraries to the ear
> deployment plan as <dependency>'s.
>
> Alternatively you can create a custom config
containing <dependency>s
> for the libraries and then make that the parent of
your portal and
> portlet applications; this allows them to be
deployed separately.

I don't think the ear solution won't work because I
need support for dynamically deploying and undeploying
of individual portlet applications while the rest of
the portlets registered with the portal application
keep on running. What I need is an object from a Pluto
jar that is instantiated by the portal driver web
application be sent as a request attribute to a
portlet web application and a portlet be able to use
that object without encountering any classloader
issues. I'd think that these shared jars would need be
loaded by a common parent classloader to the web apps.
It looks like your second option might be this
solution?? Isn't there a directory in Jetty dedicated
for this purpose? In Tomcat this is the shared/lib directory.