geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Building Running Deploying Feedback
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:46:33 GMT
David Jencks wrote:
> The immediate cause of your problems is that if you start geronimo with
> specific configurations listed on the command line you get only those
> configurations and their ancestors.  The runtime deployer is not an
> ancestor of the DebugConsole, so you managed to start a geronimo
> configuration that you cannot deploy anything to.
>
> I don't have any good ideas at the moment how to make this more user
> friendly.

As backgound, the reason for this is to allow a administrator to restart
a broken server by specifying the exact configuration set to run.
Specifying the configs is really a disaster recovery option not meant
for daily use.

One thing we could do is allow you to specify a file containing the
configs - that way we could include a couple of known-good configuration
lists in the distro making it a little easier to recover. Any patch for
this would be appreciated.

The normal way to start a server is simply not to specify any
configurations at all; it then starts the last-known-good config list
(currently that's what was running when it was last shut down cleanly).

--
Jeremy