geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ANN: Geronimo 1.0-M3 Release
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2005 06:59:29 GMT
Preston L. Bannister wrote:
> On 11/10/2004 Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>
>> The 1.0-M3 release is cut
>

> The "News" on the Core Developers <http://www.coredevelopers.net/news/>
> website is from 2003.  The rate of progress on Geronimo is hard to
> determine, but seems somewhere between slow and dead.  Forgive me for
> being skeptical, but it is starting to look like this project is on the
> wrong side of the power curve.
>
> Not that I'd mind if proven wrong ... :).

One challenge is that we are in heavy lets-get-this-thing-certified mode
and unfortunately we are not allowed to describe where we are in that
curve. Needless to say, progress is being made.

> Is this project really going somewhere, or have the early participants
> found they cannot afford the needed time?

We think it is. Nearly all of the early participants remain actively
involved and, more importantly, more people are participating all the time.

> Between JBoss on one end, Sun's J2EE distribution, and interest in
> lighter-weight containers, is this project still relevant?

Don't forget Bluestone: free as in beer does not help. Both JBoss and
Sun are commercial J2EE distributions (as in they are released subject
to a commercial J2EE license) and although both have source available
under certain terms, neither has an open community like Apache. At the
moment, the only certified J2EE implementation under an open source J2EE
license is ObjectWeb's JOnAS, and due credit to them for getting it done.

As far as light-weight container support goes, Geronimo has the
advantage that it was designed from the beginning to support those
frameworks. The core architecture is based on IoC patterns adapted to
support the needs of server applications. The Geronimo kernel has
already been adopted by other open-source servers, and we have been
working closely with application level frameworks such as Spring for
quite a while.

In the end, are we relevant? Only time will tell.

--
Jeremy