geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <>
Subject Re: Mail Archives and EJB3
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:19:01 GMT
On Feb 15, 2005, at 4:36 AM, David J. Green wrote:

> Hello all!
> I'm new here so hang with me.    First, I tried to find some
> information in the mail list archives, and received a Velocity Servlet
> error when I tried to view the messages by subject, and also when I
> tried by thread.  Someone might want to look at that, although I know
> you're all busy.

Its been broken for a while.  :(   I think someone on the Apache
infrastructure team is working on it now.

>    Second, I assume Geronimo's  EJB code is written for the 2.1 spec,
> but was curious about the plan once the 3.0 spec is release.  Will
> that be a feature for the future, or will you try to get it up as
> quickly as you can.    I'm looking forward to dumping my current
> server program.  Keep up the good work.

Geronimo uses the EJB implementation from OpenEJB (, and it
is written  to the EJB 2.1 specification.  As for EJB 3.0, it is not
even at the public draft stage of the JCP process.
(, so I personally don't expect
to see a final spec for another year or two.  Given the extreme
political nature of the EJB 3.0 specification and the huge amount
change in the EJB 3.0 from the 2.1, I expect to see the EJB 3.0
specification to change a lot as the vendors attempt to implement it.
We saw this to a lesser degree when CMP 2.0 was first introduced, and
when the vendors attempted to implement the public draft, found that
the dependent objects part of the specification simply did not work.

Anyway,  I personally don't plan on starting on EJB 3.0 until the spec
stabilizes.  I plan on working on features that will make the user
experience better, such as providing better error messages to users.
This is an opensource project, so if you or anyone else is interested
in working on EJB 3.0, please contribute.

Dain Sundstrom
Chief Architect
Gluecode Software
310.536.8355, ext. 26