geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Provision of derby tools JAR and JDBC network driver JAR
Date Thu, 27 Jan 2005 03:12:00 GMT
sissonj@insession.com wrote:
> If a Java application (not J2EE app) provides a database creation utility
> and expects to be able to use a JDBC network driver to connect to the
> Derby network server embedded in Geronimo, then currently the command line
> application (the database creation utility) needs access (assuming the IBM
> Universal Driver is used) to db2jcc.jar and db2jcc_license_c.jar .
>
> On the Derby lists I saw that IBM is planning on donating a JDBC network
> driver sometime in March.
>
> Q1. Would it make sense to place this driver jar and the derbytools jar in
> the  geronimo/repository/incubator-derby/jars directory to accompany the
> other derby jars so we provide all the required jars needed for connecting
> to and administering the Derby database embedded in Geronimo (even though
> the driver or tools won't be loaded by Geronimo)?

Yes - we already configure and start the network server so having the
client jars available would make sense. These could also be used to
connect to a Derby instance in a different JVM.

> Q2. Even if we do provide all the JARs in the repository, users of a
> command line Java application (running on the same machine) would probably
> have to edit their classpath to point to the correct  version of JDBC
> driver that matches the version of Derby embedded in Geronimo.  Any
> suggestions on how this could be automated (determining the version and
> getting the driver JAR)?

I think it would depend on how the client app expected this to work and
whether it relied on having them in the system classpath or did some
fancy uber-jar type thing.

One option would be to deploy the client along with the server (EAR) as
a J2EE Application Client. IIRC the app client can have a plan
associated with it where they can specify dependencies just like with
server-side modules.

--
Jeremy