geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <djen...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo XDoclet (geronimo-jetty tags)
Date Sat, 25 Dec 2004 20:09:34 GMT

On Dec 25, 2004, at 11:46 AM, L. Yeung wrote:

>>> b. Are the tags made as class level sufficient
>> enough.
>>> I honestly don't have much experience with web
>>> deployment descriptors.
>>
>> At the moment, I don't see how to usefully use
>> xdoclet to construct a
>> geronimo web plan, since all the information in the
>> plan is at the web
>> application level rather than the servlet level,
>> which the class level
>> tags would correspond to.  Since none of the
>> information is specific to
>> a particular servlet, I don't think any information
>> should be provided
>> by a particular class.  Am I missing something?
>> Constructing the
>> standard web.xml deployment descriptor could be
>> useful, but this does
>> not rely on anything having to do with geronimo.
>>

> (I dont know if I get this question right). I mean
> class level tags for geronimo-jetty.xml, such as
> security access, resource references and etc (???)

Those are the principal things that need to be resolved, but they apply
across the entire web application rather than per servlet, so I
question how appropriate it is to include the information needed to
resolve them in a particular (servlet) source file.  For ejbs, the jndi
references are per ejb instance rather than per ejb application/module,
but the security role-mapping still applies across the entire module.

IIRC xdoclet suffers from a similar problem even for the spec
deployment descriptors, in that a particular class may appear many
times in a descriptor with a different environment each time, whereas
xdoclet only provides the means to include it once, with a single
environment specified in the source file.  I have no idea how to solve
this problem or even if it has already been solved in xdoclet 2.

many thanks,
david jencks