geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Lajos <la...@galatea.com>
Subject JavaWorld Article and Certification Claims
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:40:15 GMT

Hi y'all -

I'm engaged in a bit of argument on my article for JavaWorld on
Geronimo. I said that Geronimo will be (I should have said wants to be)
the first open source J2EE 1.4 certified application server. JBoss has
complained to JavaWorld, saying that they are already the first. In
fact, I don't consider JBoss open source like Geronimo. JBoss being open
source is like Solaris 10 being open source - it is two different
models. I think the distinction is not only important, it is vital. I
don't like the idea of major corporations being able to coopt the term
open source as a marketing ploy. It is dangerous for the open source
community and takes us back to the reason why open source got started in
the first place.

While I won't completely retract my statement in my article (I'll change
"will be" to "hopes to be"), I'd be interested in seeing if anyone else
agrees with my position or even sees the problem I'm pointing out.

Regards,

Lajos

--

                    Lajos Moczar
     Open Source Support, Consulting and Training

             Cocoon Developer's Handbook
  (www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672322579)

      http://www.galatea.com -- powered by AzSSL