geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Seth Ladd <sethl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Strategies for Eliminating OOM Exceptions on Redeploys?
Date Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:52:34 GMT
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 12:50:12 -0800, David Jencks <djencks@gluecode.com> wrote:
> I certainly agree this is an important issue.  I think so far our main
> defense has been "good design".  Do you have a specific example that
> causes problems on geronimo, or are you just warning us to check this
> thoroughly?  I take it you are also hinting that we should test with a
> web app that uses hibernate:-)

Hi!  Thanks for the quick response.

I do not have a example webapp at this moment, but I have just started
one to test.  I'm skeptical due to previous experiences with Tomcat,
Resin, and Jetty.  Certain 3rd party libraries (totally out of my
control) are not built with ClassLoader release in mind.  For
instance, cglib (used by hibernate) does not release its dynamic
proxies when the webapp is destroyed on a redeploy.  In a Single
Application, this is not a problem.  In the dynamic world of
application containers, this is certainly a problem.

Thanks for being interested in this.  I've just downloaded M3 and will
run my test (that I've used for other application servers) on it.
I'll respond back with results.

AFAICT, though, there isn't much we can do about the problem because
there is no way to completely (and forcibly) garbage collect
ClassLoaders.  But maybe Geronimo has solved the problem? :)

More info soon,
Seth