geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Seth Ladd <sethl...@gmail.com>
Subject Strategies for Eliminating OOM Exceptions on Redeploys?
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2004 20:17:16 GMT
Hello,

Congrats on releasing another version of Geronimo!  I'm hoping someone
can shed some light on this subject.

On all the application servers/web servers I've tried, they all seem
susceptible to (potential) OutOfMemoryExceptions when certain webapps
are deployed over and over.  This is often the result of some
libraries not releasing classes it has loaded.  This causes the WebApp
ClassLoader to never be released, and thus the memory leak.  The
Hibernate library comes to mind here with the way it uses cglib.

I'm wondering if Geronimo has any strategies for dealing with this
problem?  I'd love to be able to run a Java Application Server as long
as the Apache HTTPD server, but I've never been able to.  Too many
application redeploys will always crash the server.

If Geronimo doesn't have any direct code that explicitly handles this
problem, maybe there are other strategies involved?  Being able to
explicitly destroy the classloader that loaded the application would
be incredibly invaluable.  We could then have Java App Servers running
24/7!

Thanks very much!
Seth