geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo structure
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 16:47:39 GMT
Glyn Normington wrote:
> I am trying to understand the structure of geronimo. I found a useful
> picture of the class loader hierarchy in Aaron's draft book.
>
> Any pointers as to how the set of subdirectories of geronimo/modules is
> reflected, if at all, in runtime structure? For example, are all those
> classes loaded by the org/apache/geronimo/Server class loader?

It isn't really. The modules are independent units of development that
deal with a specific function.

> "maven site" generated a "dependencies" page describing geronimo as a
> stand-alone application with no dependencies on any other project. Is
> this accurate?

No. There are many dependencies.

> Sorry for such basic questions - I only started looking at the
> implementation yesterday. :-)

NP. If you are looking to see what is actually used in the final
distribution, the best place to start would be the assembly module that
pulls it all together. In the project.xml the dependencies have
properties that determine where they end up (lib ot repo).

To determine how these are used look at the deployment plans in that
module under src/plan. The <dependency> elements show which jars are
pulled in by each classloader. Each plan defines a Configuation and each
Configuration is a classloader.

--
Jeremy