This article shows you how to create a datasource pool in GEP during development. The datasource pool wizard is a handy feature to speed up your development by creating a datasouce connector without any manual coding. Information of the connector you create using this wizard is embedded in the deployment plan of the application as an <ext-module> element.
Note that this wizard has the following 2 limitations:
- It is only available when you develop a EAR project In Eclipse.
- It only supports the embedded Apache Derby database.
Adding a new datasource pool
To use the datasource pool wizard in GEP:
- Double-click the geronimo-application.xml file under the /META-INF directory of your application to open it in the Geronimo Deployment Plan Editor. The following figure shows the General tab of the editor:
Unable to render embedded object: File (GEP_Wizard.png) not found.
- Click the Connector tab, and then open the Database Pools section to see the datasource pools that are defined. The following figure shows the Database Pools section in the Connector tab:
Unable to render embedded object: File (GEP_DSWizard2.png) not found.
The following list describes the functions of the three buttons in the Database Pools section:
- Add - create a new datasouce pool.
- Remove - remove an existing datasource connector.
- Edit - reconfigure an existing datasource connector.
- Click Add to start a datasource pool wizard, and then fill in the required fields. The following figure shows the database pool wizard:
Unable to render embedded object: File (GEP_DSWizard3.png) not found.
The following list introduces the fields in this step of the datasource pool wizard:
- Connector: specify the location of a Java EE Connector module.
- External-path: indicate that the module is not part of the enterprise application and must be located by matching the supplied pattern in a Geronimo repository.
- Click Next to edit Basic Settings and choose a driver for the datasource pool.
The basic settings include pool name, database type and database name. Because this wizard only supports embedded Apache Derby database, there are only 2 available options(xa and non-xa) in the Database Type drop-down list and only one driver in the Driver Details field. The driver is org.apache.geronimo.configs/system-database//car.
The following figure shows the fields in this step:
Unable to render embedded object: File (GEP_DSWizard4.png) not found.
- Click Next to go to the steps of Advanced Pool Settings and Connection Pool Parameters, and then fill in the required fields.
The following two figures show the fields in these two steps:
Unable to render embedded object: File (GEP_DSWizard5.png) not found.
Unable to render embedded object: File (GEP_DSWizard6.png) not found.
- Click Finish to create the new datasource pool. The following figure shows the Connector tab with the new datasource pool that is created successfully:
Unable to render embedded object: File (GEP_DSWizard7.png) not found.
- In the toolbar, click Save to save the settings of the new datasource pool.
Now you have created a new datasource pool. You can click the Source tab to review the deployment plan of the connector. The following figure shows a sample deployment plan with a new datasource connector embedded: