1. Use Genesis 2.0 as a parent pom
2. Use Maven 2.2.1 (not try if 2.0.10 or 2.0.11 can run)
Special changes for releasing the server 2.1.5
1. Add "all-subprojects" profile(Similar with what David Jencks did for 2.2)
By default, maven-release-plugin will use the default profile to search all the pom.xml files and auto-update the version numbers. But integration tests are often run from non-pom packaging projects, so We also need include them during the release plugin running. Hence we create a new "all-subprojects" profile:
This profile is just the same as default profile.
The config modules are all included by default, but the 4 integration test are not. So if we want this 4 projects' pom can be updated by maven-release-profile, we need explicitly point out.
btw, I refactored the names of above 4 itest to make them the same with 2.2, i.e.
- j2ee-system -> j2ee-system-it1
- j2ee-system-2 -> j2ee-system-it2
- metadatageneration -> metadatageneration-it3
- metadatageneration-2 -> metadatageneration-it4
- /plugins/pom.xml (and some others do not need to add "all-subprojects" profile)
Not all the pom.xml must have an "all-subprojects" in file. If there is no special projects as above, you can just leave the pom as is (take /plugins/pom.xml as example).
- /testsuite/pom.xml and its childern
A lot of efforts ware put on testsuite. When run with "all-subprojects" profile to do a release, we don't need really run and pass the tests. Remember the goal of this profile is just to find all the sub-projects' pom files so that release-plugin can auto update their versions.
- prepare the release
In above command -Dtest=false seems not take effect?? So, currently I add following in root pom's all-subprojects profile.
and use the following command:
- Check if all pom.xml files have a pom.xml.tag generated
Compare the quantity of the 2 files
- and if the versions in pom.xml.tag are updated correctly,
The only things that should be different between these files are the <version> and <scm> elements.
- and if there is no "SNAPSHOT" in pom.xml.tag files.
Just find in files..
2. Don't deploy the test artifacts to maven repo
Because there are a lot of sub-projects that not need to be released, such as integration tests and testsuites, we need filter them out when do maven deploy:
3. Other changes
- Remove tools-maven-plugin and use the ianal-maven-plugin(defined in genesis-default-flava-2.0.pom) to verify-legal-files
- Add following in testsuite/pom.xml
- Remove a bunch of maven plugins definition in server root pom
- Update xmlbeans-maven-plugin to 2.3.3 and remove all the following hacked codes:
1. NOTICE.txt files
- Check the "Year" of copyright in all NOTICE.txt file.
2. Before release
- Update the VERSION in README.txt / RELEASE_NOTES-2.1.5-SNAPSHOT.txt
- Update <version> properties from 2.1.5-SNAPSHOT to 2.1.5 in root pom.xml
- Update versions in "assemblies\geronimo-boilerplate-minimal\src\main\underlay\etc\gsh-classworlds.conf" from 2.1.5-SNAPSHOT to 2.1.5
- Update artifact-alias
3. After release:
- Update artifact-alias
- Update <version> properties from 2.1.5-SNAPSHOT to 2.1.6-SNAPSHOT in root pom.xml
- Update versions in "assemblies\geronimo-boilerplate-minimal\src\main\underlay\etc\gsh-classworlds.conf" from 2.1.5-SNAPSHOT to 2.1.6-SNAPSHOT
- Update versions in "framework\configs\geronimo-gbean-deployer\src\it\XXXXX\src\test\resources\META-INF" xml files.