geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] implement jakarta spec apis
Date Sat, 04 May 2019 19:44:25 GMT
The problem is that in a git repo you can only release all at once. That means we would need
to have a single git repo for each and every spec. That will be quite many...

LieGrue,
strub

> Am 04.05.2019 um 21:35 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibucau@gmail.com>:
>
> AFAIK we dont have limitations there and can do share stuff outside with jgit - but it
is very rare - so probably sane to unify all repo to git. In particular since we will not
do all specs probably. Cxf already moved to jakarta spec so we dont need jaxrs stack for instance,
same for cdi, bval,... So we wil reduce a lot what we fork IMHO.

> Le sam. 4 mai 2019 à 21:12, Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de> a écrit :
> I’d keep that in svn because of the tons of modules.
>
> Lg,
> Strub
>
> Am 04.05.2019 um 19:28 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibucau@gmail.com>:
>
>> We mainly fork for legal reasons and defaults so name is probably not critical while
we respect module names.

>> Btw do we do it in gitbox? Svn had some limitations by the past for contributions.
>>
>> Le sam. 4 mai 2019 à 17:47, Raymond Auge <raymond.auge@liferay.com> a écrit
:
>> One thing to consider is there may be cases where it is desirable to retain the javax
API alongside some extra jakarta packages & types.

>> For example, for JAX-RS you may wish to add some newly defined jakarta types (part
of a new spec) which interact over the original javax API.

>> The result might be that "Jakarta EE REST" (a fictitious name for next JAX-RS) might
contain a subset of packages which, in combination with JAXRS v2.1, also qualifies as "Jakarata
EE Rest".

>> - Ray
>>
>> On Sat, May 4, 2019 at 11:26 AM Raymond Auge <raymond.auge@liferay.com> wrote:
>> so is this a matter of forking all the current specs into the new namespace? Or is
the intention to completely change the packages in-place?

>> - Ray
>>
>> On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 1:58 PM Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibucau@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hmm
>>
>> My understanding was it was getting under eclipse license as well and was fully donated
but can have missed some details.

>> If we cant reuse them let's just create new ones and fix module name for others.
>>
>> specs/ is fine since it is the same for us IMHO
>>
>> Le ven. 3 mai 2019 à 18:24, Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de> a écrit :
>> No, it is not the same. microprofile specs are licensed under ALv2 and we know all
the legal details.
>> For the EE specs this is by far not the same. We don't even know exactly what parts
did yet get donated by Oracle to the EF.

>> LieGrue,
>> strub
>>

>> > Am 03.05.2019 um 18:12 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibucau@gmail.com>:
>> >
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > Idnt it the exact same as for microprofile? So we dont do?
>> >
>> > Le ven. 3 mai 2019 à 16:21, Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de> a écrit
:
>> > I've started tinkering something under specs/branches/jakarta.
>> > It's wip but have to rush out for a few hours now.
>> > Will continue later today.
>> >
>> > LieGrue,
>> > strub

in the current spec apis under the javax.* package.

a new project for the EE8 specs under the jakarta.* package name.