geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Łukasz Dywicki <l...@code-house.org>
Subject Re: Major updates to XBean
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2018 20:35:24 GMT
I don't see any new developments started with xbean, but there are still projects under active
development which rely on it. ActiveMQ 5.x might be last one, not sure about others, and it
does suffer because no investments in xbean. JAXB is fine, but I doubt if any custom type
mapping will be ever able to provide such extensibility as Spring with its declarative configuration.
Moving ActiveMQ 5 configuration schema to JAXB would be definitely a difficult task.

Schema generated with my branch does not differ from old one. There are some constructions
from xbean which fail xml schema validation after upgrading to Spring 4 with its XSD checks.
I had no issues updating XML namespace declarations (xsi etc) but some parts of schema simply
break.
This includes map elements (MapMapping) which are reported as invalid content. I made an attempt
to fix that and extend generator to create proper declarations of elements.

My changes so far update xbean maven plugin, remove duplicate code and separate generators
from namespace handlers. This allows to remove ant dependency from namespace handler runtime
imports, let maven plugin use some simple plexus IoC for generator discovery.
These are mainly code reorganizations to made xbean and downstream projects maintenance easier.

Łukasz Dywicki

> On 2 Aug 2018, at 16:25, Guillaume Nodet <gnodet@apache.org> wrote:
>

> Over the last years, I have hardly seen anyone using the xbean-spring stuff anymore.
 I think most of custom namespaces have been implemented using JAXB instead.
> I think one of the problem is that the xml tends to be ugly, so starting from the xml
and using JAXB usually makes more sense.
> I guess if you plan to use it in ActiveMQ, the generated schema has to be compatible
with the previous ones, right ? Is that the case with your changes ?

> Guillaume
>
>> Le jeu. 2 août 2018 à 16:17, <luke@code-house.org> a écrit :
>> Ladies and gentlemen,
>> I started messing around XBean as its codebase is in moderate form. I’ve run into
multiple issues while trying to get it running under Karaf 4.1 together with ActiveMQ and
decided to push it forward. I spent last couple of days cleaning up duplicated code and refactoring
maven plugin so it does not depend on any specific generator. There is still lots of things
to do as there are several Spring tests which are failing. Due to stronger schema validation
around 15 spring tests currently fails. This is because generated schema works only for basic
elements and fails with embedded collections. I already started to reform that part and I
should be able to update XsdGenerator.

>> I would like to submit PR once I solve all the issues and test it with ActiveMQ would
you accept my work? Due to amount of breaking changes I started 5.0.x branch (which might
be good to start support Spring 4 or 5).
>> There is one big commit so far in my GitHub fork: https://github.com/splatch/geronimo-xbean/tree/xbean-5.0.x,
which I can chunk into smaller (yet non compilable) commits in order to make history a bit
clearer.