geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From rdo...@me.com
Subject Re: Safeguard without MP-Config?
Date Mon, 27 Nov 2017 05:18:52 GMT
Hi John,

On 25. Nov 2017, 19:56 +0100, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org>, wrote:
> Hi Rüdiger!
>
> I think it would be fine if it could operate without MP Config.  I was actually thinking
that configuration could be more of an SPI, rather than a hard requirement.  E.g. one impl
for MP Config, another for ConfigJSR, and maybe a default one with system properties enabled?

Nice! What would that SPI look like? Maybe a subset of MP config? I like the way slf4j handles
the absence of an implementation: It brings it's own NOP implementation as a fallback. Maybe
that's an idea for MP config, too: if there is an implementation on the classpath, use that;
otherwise log an info about falling back and do the bare minimum: maybe simply no config at
all, or use system properties and environment variable only.

> And you are correct, that was my strawman placeholder to solve it, but agree that it
will not work 100%

The change is quite trivial to do, but I have no idea how to test it.

> If you want to create a pull request, first fork https://github.com/apache/geronimo-safeguard then
make your changes in your fork.  You should then see an option in github to raise a PR.

Okay, sure. I had seen that the project on github is just a mirror of git://git.apache.org/geronimo-safeguard.git
and didn't understand that I can still create pull requests. Just did.

Rüdiger

> On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 1:03 PM <rdohna@me.com> wrote:
> > > Hey guys
> > >
> > > Should Safeguard run even without a MP-Config implementation? I think it would
be cool if it did.

> > > Method `ExecutionPlanFactory#enableNonFallbacksForMicroProfile` looks a little
bit like it tries to, but line 141 catches only `ClassNotFoundException`. If it would also
catch `NoClassDefFoundError` and `ExceptionInInitializerError`, it would actually work.