geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "John D. Ament" <johndam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Renaming Geronimo Config?
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2017 10:28:23 GMT
On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 2:45 AM David Blevins <david.blevins@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On Aug 30, 2017, at 12:14 PM, Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de> wrote:
> >
> > +1 for going forward
> >
> > Note that I also totally understand Davids concerns about the public
> perception about Geronimo and that people still think we talk about the
> G-Server.
> > To mitigate this problem I pushed forward with retiring the GServer part
> and move the Geronimo project to become an umbrella for Enterprise Java
> Components. And of course if the VOTE succeeds, then we will quickly also
> pimp the geronimo.a.o site to reflect the EOL state of GServer.
> >
> > @David, is that fine for you?
>
> I’ll be honest and say I feel a bit steam rolled.  The “is this ok with
> you” sent 5 minutes after the vote already started.  Vote closed sharply at
> 72 hours almost to the minute.  I was home in WI on labor day weekend
> visiting family for the first time in 2 years.

I'm a bit confused.  Which vote are you referring to?  The decision to
retire Geronimo Server did close that weekend, but that feels very straight
forward, were you saying we shouldn't have retired it?

We've never voted on a name for Geronimo Config. If you want, we can run
that vote.  But short of that, I'm not sure there's more we could vote on
for this subject.  I'll also share a bit more of my view point.

- No to XBean, for reasons mentioned in the other thread.
- Yes, we should find a more creative name than Config for the project.
- I lean towards supporting Mark's POV on this more than anything, since
Config is really something he started.