geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Renaming Geronimo Config?
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2017 06:57:33 GMT
Le 8 sept. 2017 08:45, "David Blevins" <david.blevins@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Aug 30, 2017, at 12:14 PM, Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de> wrote:
>
> +1 for going forward
>
> Note that I also totally understand Davids concerns about the public
perception about Geronimo and that people still think we talk about the
G-Server.
> To mitigate this problem I pushed forward with retiring the GServer part
and move the Geronimo project to become an umbrella for Enterprise Java
Components. And of course if the VOTE succeeds, then we will quickly also
pimp the geronimo.a.o site to reflect the EOL state of GServer.

> @David, is that fine for you?

I’ll be honest and say I feel a bit steam rolled.  The “is this ok with
you” sent 5 minutes after the vote already started.  Vote closed sharply at
72 hours almost to the minute.  I was home in WI on labor day weekend
visiting family for the first time in 2 years.

In all my years at Apache I’ve never closed a vote that sharply especially
when I know there are concerns.

It is clear I am the odd man out, however, and do not want to stand in the
way the way of anyone’s fun.

What I ask is the same in return.  I ask you politely to not block attempts
on the TomEE side to create sub-projects.  I think everyone should be
allowed to have the fun they want to have.  Anatole has’t come and tried to
shutdown Geronimo config.  I haven’t attempted to go to OWB and shut down
Meecrowave.  If there are people excited and willing to work on something
on the TomEE side, please don’t try to shut it down and redirect it to
Geronimo.

I’ll contribute to what I can over on this side of the fence and think the
change is positive.  I don’t however agree that other projects shouldn’t
also have similar fun.

This is not what was said but that subprojects should be consistent like
cellar for karaf for instance. If it is just a community thing G is a
consistent solution for asf avoid avoids the errors we did last 4 years. At
least we try to fix them this way for now.

We can rework the communities interactions if it is the issue bit we
shouldnt pollute all projects probably and workarou d asf too much with
this model everywhere IMHO.

-David