geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [RESULT] retire/EOL the Geronimo Server part?
Date Sun, 03 Sep 2017 07:05:14 GMT
Le 2 sept. 2017 21:23, "Mark Struberg" <struberg@yahoo.de> a écrit :

Time to tally the VOTE!

The following votes have been cast:

+1 Romain Manni-Bucau, David Jencks, Alan Cabrera, Guillaume Nodet,
Jean-Baptiste Onofré (nb), Mark Struberg
No -1 nor 0

That means the VOTE has passed and the Geronimo server parts will get
retird/EOLed.

Txs to all who voted!

Alan, do you like to draft the announcement?

How do we do it practically?
Move it into an end_of_life folder inside our own SVN area?

+1

And then we also gonna need to slowly update our site.

What about a new active projects index page and a banner about this kind of
news? Can surely be included in the work John is doing, no?

txs and LieGrue,
strub

> Am 30.08.2017 um 21:09 schrieb Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de>:
>
> Picking this up and pushing it further!
>
> After discussing this topic many times and finding no one willing to
spend time to actively evolve nor even maintain the Geronimo Server part
I'd say we should finally call a VOTE:

> This is a VOTE to announce the EOL the Geronimo Server parts, mostly
> * https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/
> * https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/gshell/
>
> We will also have to update our site, moving most of the current stuff to
a 'legacy' area and rework it to focus on the new project agenda: to serve
common EE components for other ASF projects.

> We also have a directory which contains binaries (jars) which don't even
have a license information.
> We should absolutely get rid of them anyway from our repo!
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/repository/
>

> Note that this vote is only about the Geroniom Server but NOT about the
shared components.
> Those components will be further maintained - or moved to a different
project later.

> This includes, but is not limited to, the following Geronimo parts:
> * the specs
> * genesis (parents for xbean and specs)
> * xbean
> * the components javamail, transaction, config
> Those parts WILL STAY,
>
> So please VOTE:
>
> [+1] Publicly announce that the Geroniom Server is EOL (End of Life) and
will not further be maintained but that the Geronimo Project will from now
on focus on reusable Java Enterprise components.

> [+0] meh, I don't care
>
> [-1] Nope, stop I need the Geronimo Server and I will ACTIVELY help to
maintain and evolve it in the future!

> Here is my +1
>
> LieGrue,
> strub
>

>> Am 11.05.2017 um 22:09 schrieb Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com>:
>>
>> There should be a public vote.
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 9:13 PM, Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <jeanouii@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> I think we came to an agreement so far
>>

>> Le mar. 25 avr. 2017 à 00:21, Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de> a écrit :
>> Or do we need another formal vote?
>>
>> If we are all on the same boat, when, how and who is drafting the
Announcement?