geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Renaming Geronimo Config?
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2017 06:45:10 GMT
> On Aug 30, 2017, at 12:14 PM, Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de> wrote:
>
> +1 for going forward
>
> Note that I also totally understand Davids concerns about the public perception about
Geronimo and that people still think we talk about the G-Server.
> To mitigate this problem I pushed forward with retiring the GServer part and move the
Geronimo project to become an umbrella for Enterprise Java Components. And of course if the
VOTE succeeds, then we will quickly also pimp the geronimo.a.o site to reflect the EOL state
of GServer.

> @David, is that fine for you?

I’ll be honest and say I feel a bit steam rolled.  The “is this ok with you” sent 5
minutes after the vote already started.  Vote closed sharply at 72 hours almost to the minute.
 I was home in WI on labor day weekend visiting family for the first time in 2 years.

In all my years at Apache I’ve never closed a vote that sharply especially when I know there
are concerns.

It is clear I am the odd man out, however, and do not want to stand in the way the way of
anyone’s fun.

What I ask is the same in return.  I ask you politely to not block attempts on the TomEE side
to create sub-projects.  I think everyone should be allowed to have the fun they want to have.
 Anatole has’t come and tried to shutdown Geronimo config.  I haven’t attempted to go
to OWB and shut down Meecrowave.  If there are people excited and willing to work on something
on the TomEE side, please don’t try to shut it down and redirect it to Geronimo.

I’ll contribute to what I can over on this side of the fence and think the change is positive.
 I don’t however agree that other projects shouldn’t also have similar fun.

-David