geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [RESULT] retire/EOL the Geronimo Server part?
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2017 21:58:20 GMT

> On Sep 8, 2017, at 2:23 PM, Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de> wrote:
>
> This 'implied' 3rd block was actually never implied nor up for discussion.
> Not quite sure what I did word wrong to give you that impression.
> But rest ensurred that it was never intended that way!

>> Paraphrasing, I’ve seen “we agreed to do it in Geronimo, why are you attempting
to move forward elsewhere”

> We do have existing code in geronimo. Used all over the place in other projects. There
is now no confusion anymore as the G server is dead. So what would moving those existing projects
to TomEE add for all those projects?

Note, I’m not requesting the remaining Geronimo bits to move to TomEE.  It has been mentioned
several times, particularly by Jeff and I would support it, but for the sake of avoiding confusion
I’m not referring to this.  On this particular subject, I have a gut feeling David Jencks
would really love to see Geronimo legacy live on in some form, so if there isn’t unanimous
support for moving things, I don’t want to push on that rock.

Where I do get confused is statements like this on the thread of adding new non-ASF code into
TomEE:

> On Aug 11, 2017, at 11:43 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibucau@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Why not geronimo subprojects since it is the official umbrella project now
> - vs tomee is not until we rediscuss it transprojects.
>
> Really sounds weird to me to try to push it in tomee when we agreed to do
> it in G weeks ago, what am I missing?

When statements like this are said, even proceeding any formal vote on the G side, it blurs
things for me.  I can’t see the “we” being cited and it likely colors people’s comments
and votes.  This very well can be just my confusion.

If the “we” is just Romain.  That’s fine.  If there is a “we” and this perspective
that Geronimo is the "official umbrella project now” to the exclusion of all other Apache
projects, then I’d really like to talk about it.

-David