geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [RESULT] retire/EOL the Geronimo Server part?
Date Sat, 02 Sep 2017 19:22:55 GMT
Time to tally the VOTE!

The following votes have been cast:

+1 Romain Manni-Bucau, David Jencks, Alan Cabrera, Guillaume Nodet, Jean-Baptiste Onofré
(nb), Mark Struberg
No -1 nor 0

That means the VOTE has passed and the Geronimo server parts will get retird/EOLed.

Txs to all who voted!

Alan, do you like to draft the announcement?

How do we do it practically?
Move it into an end_of_life folder inside our own SVN area?
And then we also gonna need to slowly update our site.

txs and LieGrue,
strub

> Am 30.08.2017 um 21:09 schrieb Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de>:
>
> Picking this up and pushing it further!
>
> After discussing this topic many times and finding no one willing to spend time to actively
evolve nor even maintain the Geronimo Server part I'd say we should finally call a VOTE:

> This is a VOTE to announce the EOL the Geronimo Server parts, mostly
> * https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/
> * https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/gshell/
>
> We will also have to update our site, moving most of the current stuff to a 'legacy'
area and rework it to focus on the new project agenda: to serve common EE components for other
ASF projects.

> We also have a directory which contains binaries (jars) which don't even have a license
information.
> We should absolutely get rid of them anyway from our repo!
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/repository/
>

> Note that this vote is only about the Geroniom Server but NOT about the shared components.
> Those components will be further maintained - or moved to a different project later.
>
> This includes, but is not limited to, the following Geronimo parts:
> * the specs
> * genesis (parents for xbean and specs)
> * xbean
> * the components javamail, transaction, config
> Those parts WILL STAY,
>
> So please VOTE:
>
> [+1] Publicly announce that the Geroniom Server is EOL (End of Life) and will not further
be maintained but that the Geronimo Project will from now on focus on reusable Java Enterprise
components.