geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Other MP Specs @ Geronimo?
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2017 02:10:28 GMT
> On Sep 7, 2017, at 5:35 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
>
> The reason I'm hesitant to look at XBean, it seems to be focused on a single target (which
is good for a sub-project).  It would start to confuse things to make more stuff XBean.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by single target?  I’m happy to give the history behind
XBean, but the long and short of it is it was largely made by OpenEJB, ActiveMQ and ServiceMix
as a place to share code we thought each other might want to reuse.  A lot of it wasn’t
used by Geronimo till later.  Nearly all of it is unrelated and goes across the board.  It’s
the closest Apache has gotten to an EE commons.

 - xbean-spring = Configuration library for Spring apps that want to use custom xml

         Used by: ActiveMQ, ServiceMix

 - xbean-finder = Annotation scanning library

         Used by: OpenEJB, Geronimo, ServiceMix, ActiveMQ, Aries,
                  Netflix Governator, Netflix Zuul, OPS4j, CrateDB

 - xbean-blueprint = OSGi blueprint related stuff

         Used by: Geronimio, ServiceMix, ActiveMQ, Aries, Fabric8,
                  Osgiliath

 - xbean-naming = JNDI implementation

         Used by: Geronimo, OpenEJB, ServiceMix, Ode, Nuxeo.org,
                  Osgiliath

 - xbean-reflect = Lightweight pojo creator/injector

         Used by: OpenEJB, Geronimo, ServiceMix, Plexus, BatchEE,
                  Meecrowave, Fabric8, Sonatype Nexus, JOnAS, OPS4j,
                  Osgiliath, DataTorrent, more

> Plus its a kind of odd name, I'm guessing the X is for XML.

“Odd name” is a fine enough reason for me.  I certainly prefer that over arguing what
XBean is or isn’t, cause then I feel like I need to give a history lesson.  XBean *is* “app
server commons”.  It has no other purpose than that.

There are better names.  Let’s definitely use them if we can find them.  My preference would
be for us to keep using xbean-* when we can’t think of a better name.

-David