geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Discuss: Move Geronimo to Attic
Date Thu, 09 Mar 2017 15:04:48 GMT
I totally agree.

But interest from the community is always a product of a good product and feature roadmap.
Without any good product you will not be able to build a sustainable community around it.

Of course there are many things which can trash a community despite a good product. But without
product there is no community.
At the end we are not here only because the people are great, but because we see a benefit
in the product we create in this project - AND the people are great ;)

So my first goal was to identify the features which might be of interest.
The next step is to check whether there is enough community interest in those features or
whether we could move then to another community. Ideally with still using the org.apache.geronimo
groupId and packages. Otherwise it would be quite some problem for the users.

LieGrue,
strub

> Am 09.03.2017 um 14:46 schrieb Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org>:
>
> I think more important than whether or not JEE is popular (or whatever along those lines),
are the questions about community health and is the PMC still capable of fulfilling its duties.

> My 2 cents,
> --Alex
>
> On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 12:08 PM, Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Romain and I went through the Geronimo SVN and made a list of which components are used
by other projects.

> Useful Geronimo components from https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/KEYS
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/components/txmanager
>         • TomEE (txmgr+connector)
>         • Meecrowave (txmgr)
>         • Aries (txmgr)
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/components/geronimo-schema-javaee_6
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/genesis/
>         • Maven parents for geronimo-specs
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/javamail/
>         • TomEE as delivery
>         • Lot of standalone
>         • -> we can ask Hendrik pby
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/
>         • TomEE
>         • OpenWebBeans
>         • Meecrowave
>         • OpenJPA
>         • Johnzon
>         • BatchEE
>         • Karaf
>         • Aries
>         • Tons of external customer projects which don’t want to use some official
javax jars due to licensing concerns

> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/xbean/
>         • TomEE
>         • OpenWebBeans
>         • Meecrowave
>         • Aries
>         • Karaf
>         • OpenJPA
>         • CXF (supported)
>
> Osgi-locator too but guess this one can drop and belong to karaf or servicemix.
> Q: well we need the osgi locator in our geronimo-specs, isn’t?
>

> I've created a google doc. Just ping me if you want to edit something and I'll share
it.

> David, you mentioned JASPIC. I could not find that even. Is this inside the geronimo-server
probably?
> Are there other gems which are not maintained as components but just inside geronimo?
>
> txs and LieGrue,
> strub
>

> > Am 09.03.2017 um 08:44 schrieb David Jencks <david.a.jencks@gmail.com>:
> >
> > I go back and forth on whether to shut G down completely.  Perhaps it would be useful
to inventory which parts are used by which other projects? Off the top of my head….

> > Specs …. who uses G’s and who has their own?
> >
> > Components…. I think there are several users of the transaction manager, I don’t
know about the connector framework, and I’m pretty sure no one uses my jaspic implementation.
 The TM is stable but now that faster than spinning rust persistent memory is popular the
logger could probably be rewritten to be much faster.

> > xbean …. tomee I believe, anyone else?  Does activemq still use xbean-spring?
 Knowing more about osgi now I might be able to gets xbean-blueprint to work:-)

> > yoko is used by IBM, I doubt anyone else will get all excited about CORBA and start
contributing.

> > Any other bits being used?
> >
> > If we kept G around in a reduced state, how will we maintain enough interest to
file the board reports?  Some days  I think I might have enough interest and some days not.

> > If we did not shut down the whole project would we mark the removed bits (server
primarily) as not being developed or move them to the attic?

> > thanks
> > david jencks
> >
> >> On Mar 8, 2017, at 11:15 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibucau@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> A valid point is activity related to G happens elsewhere, However elsewhere
is not "tomee" which would make things simple to move but A, B, C so shutting down G is likely
the easiest solution for G itself but also the worse for all its dependent projects - and
ASF consistency since G is now seen as the owner of specs, xbean etc....Today G is the result
of communities and I don't see it as a bad thing even if not common @ASF. It allows new interactions
with sometimes completely different area of knowledge which is actually great and can't happen
elsewhere IMHO (the dead of G would mean fork per project probably).

> >> Romain Manni-Bucau
> >> @rmannibucau |  Blog | Old Blog | Github | LinkedIn | JavaEE Factory

> >> I’ve monitored G for several years since my departure.  For me, JEE is not
my main area of focus and as such, I’ve invested little time in the project apart from reading
the e-mail threads.  This is a community decision and posting the discussion to dev@ is the
right venue.

> >> As an inactive member I don’t have a strong vote, but, my observation is that
most of the community has moved on and there is little activity.  If those that are still
active want to keep going then God’s speed.

> >> Matt Hogstrom
> >> matt@hogstrom.org
> >> +1-919-656-0564
> >> PGP Key: 0x90ECB270
> >> Facebook  LinkedIn  Twitter
> >>
> >> "I’m smart enough to know how dumb I am."
> >> -  Hogstrom

this project. That is totally understandable and fine.
is dead as long as there are enough PMC members still active to keep the project going.

the project and community is no longer viable (and has not been for a while).  I do believe
there are still useful aspects to the project, but I don’t think its enough to leave on
its own.

monitoring.  As Jeff recommended I’m including the private@ list for PMC folks that may
not be paying as much attention to the dev@ list.

might be good to get some maintenance love and some realistic chance that this is gonna happening?
love in to any of what is presently here.

some chatter on private@ but will probably need those folks to re-post to dev@ to include
that discussion.