geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Werner Keil <werner.k...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Configuration for Java SE and Java EE JSR
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2016 17:56:48 GMT
Former DeviceMap comitter and PMC chair Reza was also the original author
of many parts of what he moved to GitHub in a fork, but folks like Bertrand
who's also on the Apache board were pretty clear, he must not continue to
develop that under the "Apache" brand or "org.apache.*" as you did in your
private fork of "something".

I am not even bothering to discuss the "javax.*" mistake further, it's just
wrong at the wrong time in the wrong place.

The only good thing is a discussion in the Tamaya list about design
aspects.

This could have happened in a much more sensitive and more appropriate way.

People everywhere not just at Oracle look with great scrutiny at Open
Source and as we see from the Java EE 8 discussion and all the resources at
Oracle and elsewhere drawn from Open Source into commercial, Closes Source
proprietary solutions instead of open standards.

However, even if Oracle was to stop working on Java EE you must not simply
go and say "Oh, those lazy bones, I'm going to create my own Java standard
instead".
Or what next, "Sorry W3C, you take way too long with HTML5, I now create
HTML6 in my own GitHub repository and everyone will use it"?;-D

You may have done this with the bet intentions, but did great damage to the
impression people have of Open Source, Open Java, the JCP and also Apache.
It helped only those who claim "those Open Source guys are a bunch of
anarchists who can't make up their minds and don't produce anything of
value".

Not sure, if you really intended to do that, but that's how it went, so
please try to be a little more thoughtful and ask people who are involved
in the process (PMO or EC if you plan to file a JSR;-) next time.

Cheers,
Werner