geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Geronimo dependencies on JDK-Internal APIs
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2015 20:18:59 GMT
I did the check for

* specs - all OK

* xbean - some problems did show up:

~/develop/java/apache/geronimo/xbean/trunk$>find . -name *.jar | xargs /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_45.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/jdeps
-P -jdkinternals
Warning: Invalid classname or pathname not exist: ./xbean-finder/target/target/folder
xbean-classpath-4.4-SNAPSHOT.jar -> /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_45.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/rt.jar
(compact1)
   org.apache.xbean.classpath.SunURLClassPath (xbean-classpath-4.4-SNAPSHOT.jar)
      -> sun.misc.URLClassPath                              JDK internal API (rt.jar)
   org.apache.xbean.classpath.SystemClassPath (xbean-classpath-4.4-SNAPSHOT.jar)
      -> sun.misc.URLClassPath                              JDK internal API (rt.jar)
   org.apache.xbean.classpath.TomcatClassPath (xbean-classpath-4.4-SNAPSHOT.jar)
      -> sun.misc.URLClassPath                              JDK internal API (rt.jar)

We need to tackle those.

txs and LieGrue,
strub

> Am 08.07.2015 um 16:22 schrieb Rory O'Donnell <rory.odonnell@oracle.com>:
>
> Just wondering if anyone had a chance to look at this ?
>
> Rgds,Rory
>
> On 02/07/2015 09:43, Rory O'Donnell wrote:
>>
>> Hi ,
>>
>> My name is Rory O'Donnell, I am the OpenJDK Quality Group Lead.
>>
>> I'm contacting you because your open source project seems to be a very popular dependency
for other open source projects.
>> As part of the preparations for JDK 9, Oracle’s engineers have been analyzing open
source projects like yours to understand usage. One area of concern involves identifying compatibility
problems, such as reliance on JDK-internal APIs.

>> Our engineers have already prepared guidance on migrating some of the more common
usage patterns of JDK-internal APIs to supported public interfaces.  The list is on the OpenJDK
wiki [0].

>> As part of the ongoing development of JDK 9, I would like to inquire about your usage
of  JDK-internal APIs and to encourage migration towards supported Java APIs if necessary.

>> The first step is to identify if your application(s) is leveraging internal APIs.

>>   Step 1: Download JDeps.
>> Just download a preview release of JDK8(JDeps Download). You do not need to actually
test or run your application on JDK8.  JDeps(Docs) looks through JAR files and identifies
which JAR files use internal APIs and then lists those APIs.
>>   Step 2: To run JDeps against an application. The command looks like:
>> jdk8/bin/jdeps -P -jdkinternals *.jar > your-application.jdeps.txt
>>
>> The output inside your-application.jdeps.txt will look like:
>>
>> your.package (Filename.jar)
>>       -> com.sun.corba.se            JDK internal API (rt.jar)
>> 3rd party library using Internal APIs:
>> If your analysis uncovers a third-party component that you rely on, you can contact
the provider and let them know of the upcoming changes. You can then either work with the
provider to get an updated library that won't rely on Internal APIs, or you can find an alternative
provider for the capabilities that the offending library provides.

>> Dynamic use of Internal APIs:
>> JDeps can not detect dynamic use of internal APIs, for example through reflection,
service loaders and similar mechanisms.