geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Board report time
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2014 07:35:06 GMT
+1 for the report. looks good.

> Are we loosing steam as a community?

Well, geronimo contains quite a few interesting pieces. It's kind of an 'EE-commons' project
now.

But to be honest I'm not sure about the future of Geronimo as EE server. All the OSGi stuff
is way too complex and I personally never liked it much to have tons of different projects
with highly different constellations on one JVM.
This is just too complicated to maintain, too difficult to search errors (e.g. how to do javaagent
or classreload with different openjpa versions?), freaking difficult to read logs, rule out
deadlocks between different apps on the same app server, etc. This is actually not a Geronimo
issue. I do see all these problems with big WebLogic and WebSphere installations as well (I'm
doing quite a few huge customers). Most times it's easier to have 5 smaller servers which
only serve a single 'application' Of course such an app could consist of multiple WARs, etc
but they all work nicely together, use the same shared libs, etc.

And in such a case all the complexity of OSGi is just unecessary overhead and heavy lifting.

LieGrue,
strub