geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Ivan <xhh...@gmail.com>
Subject Reduce the file copying in the application deployment
Date Sun, 01 Apr 2012 01:29:13 GMT
Hi, while deploying one common application in the Geronimo server, now we
copy the files for three times,
a. Copy the deployed application file to a temp directory, there are some
comments in the Deployer.java file :

 // todo jar url handling with Sun's VM on Windows leaves a lock on the
module file preventing rebuilds
            // to address this we use a gross hack and copy the file to a
temporary directory
            // the lock on the file will prevent that being deleted
properly until the URLJarFile has
            // been GC'ed.

b. Extract the application file to a temp directory
c. Copy the extracted application files to the corresponding repository
directory.

I am thinking that we may only do one time copying action, which is to
extract the application file to the repository directory directly.
For #a, after checking the svn log, it is added long long ago, I am not
sure whether we still have this issue, in my environment, it looks to me
that the file is not locked, may be this only occurs in some special
scenarios.
For #b, since we also keep the application extracted in the repository
directory, think that it is possible to skip that.

My idea is to introduce a 'fast.deploy' system property, and it is enabled
by default, with this property configured, the deployer will skip the step
#a and #b. Thoughts ?
--
Ivan