geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Ivan <>
Subject Reduce the file copying in the application deployment
Date Sun, 01 Apr 2012 01:29:13 GMT
Hi, while deploying one common application in the Geronimo server, now we
copy the files for three times,
a. Copy the deployed application file to a temp directory, there are some
comments in the file :

 // todo jar url handling with Sun's VM on Windows leaves a lock on the
module file preventing rebuilds
            // to address this we use a gross hack and copy the file to a
temporary directory
            // the lock on the file will prevent that being deleted
properly until the URLJarFile has
            // been GC'ed.

b. Extract the application file to a temp directory
c. Copy the extracted application files to the corresponding repository

I am thinking that we may only do one time copying action, which is to
extract the application file to the repository directory directly.
For #a, after checking the svn log, it is added long long ago, I am not
sure whether we still have this issue, in my environment, it looks to me
that the file is not locked, may be this only occurs in some special
For #b, since we also keep the application extracted in the repository
directory, think that it is possible to skip that.

My idea is to introduce a 'fast.deploy' system property, and it is enabled
by default, with this property configured, the deployer will skip the step
#a and #b. Thoughts ?

View raw message