geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Klappenbach <jklappenb...@gmail.com>
Subject New here...
Date Sat, 28 Apr 2012 17:20:19 GMT
Hey all!

I'm just joining on the group, and thought I'd introduce myself.  I've
worked in software development for over 20 years, a good portion of that
developing Java enterprise solutions and applications.  I've previously
worked at BEA, before Oracle bought them, and really enjoyed the work.

I have a new project for a client that needs a good J2EE stack, and I've
been evaluating the code and documentation for most of the candidates in
the market.  Geronimo has really stood out.

My primary focus on the stack, at least initially, will mirror the
requirements for the application I'm developing.  The system is to be a
transaction processing engine, dealing with money.  The system also needs
to scale, and scale efficiently and effectively.  At first glance, that's a
likely recipe for distributed transactions and XA protocols over all
resources involved in transactions.  There are other ways of solving the
issues of DT that sacrifice consistency for simplicity and speed, but these
are often simple hacks or procedural in nature.  I'm interested in the
types of features that could be worked into a transaction engine /
persistence layer to give more options to developers, perhaps coming up
with protocols that offer heuristic recovery functionality without the
overhead of DPC.

I'm also interested in transaction processing married to web services -- be
they SOAP, REST, or JSON via JAX-WS.  WS-AT, WS-Coordination, and WS-BA are
all areas that I'd like to explore.

If any of you are involved in these areas, please get in touch.  I'd like
to learn more about what you're doing and how I may eventually contribute
in kind.

I'm looking at the code base right now, and I've read the documentation on
building Geronimo.  Is there a tag other than the beta release that will
give me something stable?  The trunk has been giving me dependency issues.
 I've run bootstrap successfully, but am still hitting (among other
dependency complaints):

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project j2ee-system: Could not resolve
dependencies for project
org.apache.geronimo.framework:j2ee-system:car:3.0-SNAPSHOT: Failure to find
org.apache.geronimo.framework.features:framework:kar:3.0-SNAPSHOT

not even halfway through the build.  Are there other targets I need to
first execute in order to ensure that these dependencies are built and
installed?  If there's other documentation online that explain this, just
point the way.  Otherwise, a known valid tag would be great.  I'm
considering getting a maven proxy set up so I can grab trunk and mediate
packages independently.

Anyway, as I learn the stack, I'll do what I can to add documentation, etc.

Cheers!

Julian