geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Russell E Glaue <rgl...@cait.org>
Subject Re: Regarding GERONIMO-6317 Profiling clustering modules to save build time
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2012 18:45:27 GMT

On 04/06/2012 10:11 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2012, at 10:47 AM, Russell E Glaue wrote:

add some profiles to not build it, thus save the build time."

available in the 3.0-beta branch? Is it broken?

>>> Hi Russell,
>>> The WADI project seems to be largely dormant. Without anyone willing to bring
the function forward, I don't think anyone has looked at trying to get it to work on a 3.0
base.

>>> Is WADI important to you?
>>>
>>> --kevan
>>>

>> I'm wanting to get Geronimo up in my employer's web farms, and finally getting multiple
instance support was a huge step forward for me. But now removing support for clustering is
a step backward. We had been planning on its use.

>> Some mechanism is important to anyone who wants web user sessions to have persistence
among multiple clustered/loadbalanced Geronimo servers. And we have had (used to anyway) lots
of conversations on the importance of Geronimo clustering capabilities and how to do it.
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDEV/clustering-initial-discussion.html
>>
>> Yes.., we can use other 3rd party like Terracotta, but that does not make Geronimo
enterprise-ready out-of-the-box. And the terracotta plugin is probably not updated for 3.0.
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDEV/clustering-geronimo-with-open-terracotta.html
>>
>> If we remove WADI support, will we replace it with some other mechanism to share
web user sessions among Geronimo instances? Or will we tell users to rely on tomcat's and
jetty's native session replication and management? This alternative will not be a clean configuration,
since the changes would have manually to go into tomcat and jetty server config files - not
deployed as plans.

> OK. So, for session replication, most people that I know of use Tomcat native clustering
(https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC30/tomcat-native-clustering.html). Does that not work for
you? If we can go into specific issues, that would be great...

> Great conversation to be having. Thanks!
>
> --kevan

Please correct me if I am wrong,

Is not the WADI support providing one configuration for clustering all deployed
tomcat containers in a single Geronimo instance?

But if we use the tomcat default clustering support, we have to configure it on
a per-container basis, even when multiple containers operate in the same
Geronimo run-time instance? -- So it I have five containers configured in a
single instance, each will have to be configured individually for clustering.

The prior WADI support shares the session clustering among all containers, and
the later requires each container to instantiate its own independent clustering
- which is more overhead when compared to the prior option.

I'm not necessarily a big supporter of WADI, and am definitely ready to accept
alternatives. I would just like there to be a comparably good and well
documented alternative - even if it is me writing the documentation, which I am
willing.

I agree that having to support WADI integration in Geronimo source is more work
when the typical user will be fine with, and probably prefer, the default Tomcat
clustering. Especially with the WADI project not being active.

Now having discussed the benefits of WADI as a better geronimo solution, do we
have a desire to provide that level of benefit with some alternate solution that
can be used in place of WADI?

I appreciate this discussion. I want to continue to keep Enterprise Geronimo
Usability at the top of the discussion list.

-RG