geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Russell E Glaue <rgl...@cait.org>
Subject Re: Regarding GERONIMO-6317 Profiling clustering modules to save build time
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2012 14:47:00 GMT

On 04/05/2012 02:49 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2012, at 9:50 AM, Russell E Glaue wrote:
>
>> "Clustering features are not available in the current 3.0-beta branch, so add some
profiles to not build it, thus save the build time."

>> Is commit 1309635 related to this?
>>

>> Is someone able to explain why WADI Clustering and Plugin Farming are not available
in the 3.0-beta branch? Is it broken?

> Hi Russell,
> The WADI project seems to be largely dormant. Without anyone willing to bring the function
forward, I don't think anyone has looked at trying to get it to work on a 3.0 base.

> Is WADI important to you?
>
> --kevan

I'm wanting to get Geronimo up in my employer's web farms, and finally getting
multiple instance support was a huge step forward for me. But now removing
support for clustering is a step backward. We had been planning on its use.

Some mechanism is important to anyone who wants web user sessions to have
persistence among multiple clustered/loadbalanced Geronimo servers. And we have
had (used to anyway) lots of conversations on the importance of Geronimo
clustering capabilities and how to do it.
https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDEV/clustering-initial-discussion.html

Yes.., we can use other 3rd party like Terracotta, but that does not make
Geronimo enterprise-ready out-of-the-box. And the terracotta plugin is probably
not updated for 3.0.
https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDEV/clustering-geronimo-with-open-terracotta.html

If we remove WADI support, will we replace it with some other mechanism to share
web user sessions among Geronimo instances? Or will we tell users to rely on
tomcat's and jetty's native session replication and management? This alternative
will not be a clean configuration, since the changes would have manually to go
into tomcat and jetty server config files - not deployed as plans.

-RG