geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Add name-value configuration entry for the deployment scope ?
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2012 07:53:15 GMT
I'm not sure I understand the value of the global properties.  Wouldn't you get the same effect
by turning off the appropriate module builder or module builder extension? or in some cases
a gbean?

For applications, if I understand correctly, even if we had single-pass annotation scanning,
this could be useful to indicate that an implementation bundled in the application should
be used rather than the one supplied by geronimo?  I think that is a sufficiently valuable
use case so I'm in favor of this idea.  I guess if we're going to have application level properties
like this then having global ones as well makes sense even if they are redundant.

thanks
david jencks

On Mar 1, 2012, at 6:57 PM, Ivan wrote:

> A JIRA  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-5813  has been opened in the past,
will work on the things with it. If no objection, I would like to add those property first
with global scope (system.getproperty) in the first step, then will made changes to make it
application-scope.
> The property names I propose to add are :
> name                                                          default value
> org.apache.geronimo.jsf.support                        true
> org.apache.geronimo.jaxrs.support                    true
> org.apache.geronimo.jaxrpc.support                  true
> org.apache.geronimo.jaxws.support                   true
> org.apache.geronimo.jaxws.server.support         true
> org.apache.geronimo.jaxws.client.support          true
> org.apache.geronimo.ejb.support                      true
> org.apache.geronimo.ejb.server.support            true
> org.apache.geronimo.ejb.client.support             true
>
> comment ?
>
> 2012/2/28 Forrest Xia <forrestxm@gmail.com>
>

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:29 AM, Russell E Glaue <rglaue@cait.org> wrote:
> I think it would be really terrific if the properties that are typically provided on
the command line at startup could be instead, optionally, defined in a configuration file.
Better yet if these can be configured via the portlet.
> IUCC, those properties are only for deployment time use, it's not for server runtime
use. So no need to add them to the command line scripts, or consolidate them into a configuration
file.

> Once they are implemented, some documents are sure to be added.
>

> If Geronimo is to be used in a web server farm of dozens of nodes, there needs to be
a way to remotely administer all properties. And if all properties can be setup in a config
file and no longer need to be passed on the command line, this would enhance the ability for
remote administration. The goal being the administrator never has to login to the server to
deploy new Geronimo instances and administer them.