geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Use reference:file URL for installing the bundles in repository
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 16:41:34 GMT
Hi Ivan,

I think if this works it's a good idea.

I don't think it will be easy to port to trunk because karaf is so heavily dependent on mvn:
urls.  However, I think this is a mistake in karaf.  I think that karaf should use reference
urls for anything in the system repo and only use mvn urls for stuff that is actually from
a normal maven-maintained maven repo such as ~/.m2/repository.  This would also avoid the
need to check remote maven repos for updates all the time.  However, I haven't been able to
convince anyone else in the karaf community about this.

thanks
david jencks

On Mar 27, 2012, at 6:53 AM, Ivan wrote:

> Now in Geronimo, we are using mvn protocol to install the bundles to the OSGi runtime,
with this, all the bundles in the repository will have another copy in the cache, considering
the getRealPath support, we may have three copies of the deployed applications in the server
directory. I am thinking to use the reference:file to install the bundles, and those deployed
applications in the repository directory will be extracted, as what we do in Geronimo 2.*
versions. Actually, I have changed to use reference:file protocol to install the temp bundle
in the deployment process in the past.

> Remembered that there is some discussion for this in the past, but not get a final result.
Also, I am not familiar with the changes in trunk now, not sure whether this is also applicable
for it, Thoughts ?