geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Russell E Glaue <rgl...@cait.org>
Subject Re: Build hangs in Geronimo Plugins, System Database :: System Database 3.0-SNAPSHOT
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 20:57:41 GMT
Hi,
I just updated from apache geronimo SVN 3.0-beta less than 1 hour ago, no issues
for me.

I am aware of your previous discussions with David J. back in January
surrounding Karaf 3.0 and your desire for OSGi.

David (and others) is delicately working Geronimo 3.0 towards OSGi on Karaf. I
think Karaf is an excellent project, and Geronimo's use of it goes along with
its pre-dated mission to create a J2EE server from the output of other projects.

The Geronimo Kernel is an excellent approach allowing others to build specific
enterprise applications on top of Geronimo core, like Derby DB and Apache JAMES
mail server and more. It also allows us to strip out stuff we don't want like
the J2EE stuff and run a lite container like LittleG.

This makes Geronimo a very unique project, because you can build what you need.
And from an enterprise farming view, you can remotely deploy and manage on that
level much more easily.

That being said, I understand you have current needs for the OSGi platform,
specifically wrapped up in a nice Geronimo 3.0 package as it should be.

In the previous January thread you replied to, David did mention that compiling
3.0 trunk is possible when you maintain a local nexus repository and exclude
mirroring the org.apache.geronimo.* classes/packages.

If you are in need of getting 3.0 trunk compiled, I would try that approach. If
you have not setup a local Maven repo like nexus before, there is an initial
climb to understand it. However, we use it here and it is our preferred method
for managing maven artifacts.

In the past, on rare occassion, trunk has been in this sate before. The ongoing
issue that continues to surface over and over is at the crutch of the Geronimo
project... Geronimo's dependency on other project's output. And when Geronimo is
in SNAPSHOT as it is right now, it depends on SNAPSHOT releases of the other
projects. As you experienced with Karaf, when these projects release a SNAPSHOT
with an issue it also effects Geronimo.

To resolve, all we can do is one of two things in these cases:
1. Go to the other project and report the problem and wait for the fix to make
it into their SNAPSHOT release.
2. Setup a local maven proxy repo (like with nexus) and control what artifacts
we download and use in our builds.

So again, since you are so reliant upon Geronimo SNAPSHOTS, please recognize the
state "SNAPSHOT" causes for Geronimo from dependency projects. And thus I would
highly recommend following David J's advice on setting up nexus.

It should also speed up your build time of trunk.

And lastly, I have been (recently) maintaining the GMOxDEV wiki doc on building
trunk. I will take your advice and update the page to alert future users of this
risk.
https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC30/building-geronimo-with-maven.html

All of us working together make Geronimo what it is. So I appreciate you taking
time to come to the mail list to discuss your issues.

Thank you.

-RG
Russell E Glaue
Apache Geronimo volunteer and contributor

Enterprise Technology Engineer
Center for the Application of Information Technologies
Western Illinois University