geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Russell E Glaue <rgl...@cait.org>
Subject Re: Build hangs in Geronimo Plugins, System Database :: System Database 3.0-SNAPSHOT
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 19:10:13 GMT

On 03/06/2012 12:02 PM, uromahn wrote:
> Hi Russell,
>
> thank you for your reply.
>
> Two things:
> 1. Having a project that is unable to build since last December does not
> give me a lot of confidence in the project itself.

That is why we branched it to 3.0-beta. 3.0-beta is 3.0 trunk without the new
core stuff causing the build issues.

> 2. We are actually doing some POC work here that does *not* work with
> Geronimo 3.0-beta as we are not using the standard JEE model and some of the
> standard OSGI features that come with Karaf are not working in that version.
> As a result I would rather wait until we have a more stable trunk.

Can you tell me what is in 3.0 trunk that is not in 3.0-beta branch? Mind I am
talking about the 3.0-beta source code in the HEAD of subversion, and not the
binary download from the Geronimo web site 4 months ago.

We are actively keeping 3.0-beta up to date with all bug fixes and most feature
enhancements that are in 3.0 trunk.

Anything in 3.0 trunk that is not in 3.0 beta branch is the stuff we are working
on introducing, and we don't recommend using those until we have completed them.

> Some additional notes about #1 above: I completely understand that
> introducing significant changes to a complex project such as Geronimo is
> complex and may break things - I have worked on complex software projects
> myself and have worked through various refactoring efforts.
> However, if one introduces such changes, it is always a good idea to do the
> refactoring in small enough steps in order to not break the build for too
> long and disrupt the continuous integration process.

We took a different route. We took the can-build stable trunk and branched it.
We apply updates to both trunk and 3.0-beta branch.
Though we could have branched 3.0 trunk to work on complex changes and then
merge them back with completed, we chose this method due to the nature of the
complex technology we are adding to 3.0 in which multiple people are working on.

> I am wondering how we are supposed to test the trunk if there is no chance
> to build it!

I believe there are ways to compile trunk right now, which I am not immediately
familiar with. It involves setting up local repositories on your build station
and installing extra stuff. This prevents anyone from building 3.0 trunk out of
the box (that is a straight svn check out, configure maven env, and mvn install).

Like I said, however, we are applying updates to both trunk and beta, so the
build testing for our stable releases is in the 3.0-beta branch.

Additionally, the 2.2 and 2.1 versions are also branched similar to 3.0-beta,
and we will also apply fixes backwards and forwards across the branches.

trunk has traditionally been place new technology is introduced which may
potentially break out-of-the-box builds. Historically, if trunk does not build,
we have worked towards resolving the issues that prevent it.

> Sorry if I am too blunt about this but this is very frustrating. Geronimo
> was an excellent project until now and this situation is starting to destroy
> my confidence in it.

I am sorry you are frustrated. I hope that is less now that I have explained the
difference between the development approach in trunk versus the 3.0-beta branch.

Please try building 3.0-beta from the 3.0-beta branch and using that. If it is
missing something important to you that 3.0 trunk has, please let us know. But
like I said, the 3.0-beta branch should have everything trunk has.

-RG