geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo release cycle
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2012 14:08:02 GMT

On Mar 29, 2012, at 8:41 AM, Arsen Abdrakhmanov wrote:

> Dear Team,
>
> Thank you very much for your attention to my request and please, let me give small comment
regarding my previous message.

> Frankly speaking, I have meant primarily the release cycle for 2.1.x and 2.2.x versions
of Geronimo.
> We were not using the 3.0 version of Geronimo, as there was no stable non-beta release
for it.
> Actually, we were using the 2.2.1 version of Geronimo in our previous project.
> For the moment, I am in position to make a decision for moving to the version 2.1.8 for
new project, as the release is much newer.

Hi Arsen,
Thanks for the info. Releases take some considerate effort from the community. There's been
a lot of focus on 3.0 (Java EE 6) over the past year or more. Which leads to reduced focus
on older releases.

Some things that you can do to help:

1) Ask! If you're interested in a 2.2.x release, feel free to let the community know… The
expression: "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" certainly applies. There's no guarantee, of
course, but asking certainly helps… Committers will be more interested in generating a release,
if they know people need it/want it.

2) Get involved. We'd love to have some help getting releases out. There are lots of ways
to contribute -- bug fixes, patches for version updates, documentation, etc. TCK testing requires
commit access. So, unfortunately, you have to earn commit before you're able to help with
TCK testing efforts. However, showing interest in the project and helping out, in whatever
way you can, will usually earn commit rights to the project.

> The question was, that if the minor versions were released at least semi-annually, it
would be very usefull for us in terms of access to bug-fixed versions.
> In this case, we would never discuss in our company the variants with downgrade to previous
major version of application server.

Good reminder.

> Regarding the 3.0 version of Geronimo, I would be glad to use it in upcoming projects,
but if the newer minor versions of 3.0.x could be released more frequently.

> Hope, you got my idea.
> Sorry for inconveniences caused.

No problem at all. Please continue to provide comments and feedback.

--kevan