Yes, I agree that all the options should be documented, as you mentioned, we need it in many places.
For the server.xml, I am thinking that it should be the main direction for the tomcat container configuration in the future, IMHO.
As in the past versions, we find that  those wrapper GBeans become more and more complicated for. e.g. with the new Tomcat version,some new parameters are introduced, and it is required to add those attributes for existing GBeans. From another side, it is really not user-friendly to configure those things with GBean. e.g. While configuring cluster, users may need to add a long GBean configurations in the config.xml, which is error proven.