geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo 3 and karaf 3
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 15:42:42 GMT
Hi Forrest,

I've seen some problems like this and don't know exactly what causes them.  Some old artifacts
have gotten into the build: LocalAttributeManager is no longer a gbean and j2ee-system doesn't
try to set it up as a gbean.  It might be related to KARAF-910.  For me this issue seems to
sometimes cause aether to download an old remote copy of some artifact rather than using the
one in the karaf/geronimo system repo.  Could you look in your geronimo instance and see what
the j2ee-system bundle is in the system repo and in the data cache?  The log might also provide
a clue.

thanks
david jencks

On Jan 4, 2012, at 1:42 AM, Forrest Xia wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Forrest Xia <forrestxm@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Forrest Xia <forrestxm@gmail.com> wrote:
> I got some time to try the trunk change locally after G 2.1.8 release stuffs are basically
done :-)

> Several findings about the trunk changes:
> 1. The server trunk can only be compiled with Maven 3, that's the reason it failed to
compile in the TCK environment(the maven version used in TCK env is 2.2.1). I will update
the TCK env in the coming days.
> 2. The testsuite cannot be executed since geronimo-maven-plugin cannot launch the server
now. This issue will also block TCK execution.
> 3. The command line interfaces has big changes, I cannot find startup/shutdown/geronimo
scripts now. I do not look into the changes further, so I even don't know how to launch the
server now.
> Sorry, I reread the mail thread and got known that how to start the server now: bin/karaf
-l
> Hit this exception when I tried on my ubuntu box:
>
> geronimo> Booting Geronimo Kernel (in Java 1.6.0_29)...
> Module  1/62 org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car             Server
Startup failed

> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.LifecycleException: start of org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car
failed
>     at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager.startConfiguration(SimpleConfigurationManager.java:803)
>     at org.apache.geronimo.system.main.EmbeddedDaemon$1.run(EmbeddedDaemon.java:265)
> Caused by: org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.InvalidConfigException: Unknown start exception
>     at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.ConfigurationUtil.startConfigurationGBeans(ConfigurationUtil.java:527)
>     at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.KernelConfigurationManager.start(KernelConfigurationManager.java:286)
>     at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager.startConfiguration(SimpleConfigurationManager.java:787)
>     ... 1 more
> Caused by: org.apache.geronimo.gbean.InvalidConfigurationException: Getter method not
found Attribute Name: GBeanInfo, Type: class org.apache.geronimo.gbean.GBeanInfo, GBeanInstance:
org.apache.geronimo.system.configuration.LocalAttributeManager
>     at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanAttribute.<init>(GBeanAttribute.java:252)
>     at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.buildAttributes(GBeanInstance.java:396)
>     at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.<init>(GBeanInstance.java:266)
>     at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.loadGBean(BasicKernel.java:431)
>     at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.ConfigurationUtil.startConfigurationGBeans(ConfigurationUtil.java:452)
>     ... 3 more
> Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: org.apache.geronimo.system.configuration.LocalAttributeManager.getGBeanInfo()
>     at java.lang.Class.getMethod(Class.java:1605)
>     at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanAttribute.<init>(GBeanAttribute.java:237)
>     ... 7 more
>

> So generally, I think we need a introduction about how to use the trunk build now.
>

> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Forrest Xia <forrestxm@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 2:27 AM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I pushed a karaf snapshot.... maybe that will help?  I don't see this problem locally.
> No help for server build in AHP, I will try it locally. thanks!
>

> thanks
> david jencks
>
> On Dec 21, 2011, at 8:18 AM, Forrest Xia wrote:
>
>> Trunk build failed with this error when building a new module Geronimo Framework,
Feature :: DS and Metatype

>>  [INFO] Internal error in the plugin manager executing goal 'org.apache.karaf.tooling:karaf-maven-plugin:3.0.0-SNAPSHOT:features-generate-descriptor':
Unable to find the mojo 'features-generate-descriptor' (or one of its required components)
in the plugin 'org.apache.karaf.tooling:karaf-maven-plugin'
>>  Component descriptor cannot be found in the component repository: org.sonatype.aether.RepositorySystem.
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 2:06 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> BTW, to get the regions/isolation stuff working I think we are going to need to replace
our use of BundleListener/SynchronousBundleListener with the (updated-for-4.3) aries RecursiveBundleTracker.
 I think we'll need also change from ConfigurationActivator to an extender pattern.  I'd guess
the ConfigurationActivator functionality could be moved to DependencyManager rather than having
an additional tracker.

>> thanks
>> david jencks
>>
>> On Dec 20, 2011, at 10:13 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>>
>>> OK, I just committed this stuff, with reference to GERONIMO-6240.
>>>
>>> Some more hints....
>>>
>>> I can build all the way through with
>>> MAVEN_OPTS="-XX:MaxPermSize=2048m -Xms2048m -Xmx4096m"
>>>
>>> I can start karaf after setting
>>>
>>> export JAVA_MAX_MEM=2048m
>>> export JAVA_MAX_PERM_MEM=512m
>>>
>>> The car packaging is set up to stop and wait if it gets stuck.  In an earlier
version of this you'd get the karaf console and you could use karaf commands to investigate
what was going on.  For some reason this isn't working now.  If you get into this situation,
you need to kill the maven java process some way.  Usually setting a breakpoint at DependencyManager
line 571 will show you a bundle that has a resolution problem that you can then fix.

>>> The problem with the console deploy-type commands I think relates to using the
karaf RMIRegistry.  I'm going to modify it so it includes the port as a service property,
then we can look for the osgi service and get its port instead of the port gbean attribute.

>>> thanks
>>> david jencks

3 so we can have a maintainable future and get stuff like osgi 4.3, up to date aries components,
and the experimental region support now in karaf.

after turning off a couple problematic modules the tomcat-javaee6 server starts and the web
admin console appears to work at least a little bit.   I'd like a little vacation this year
and would like to commit this work first so that others can help with the loose ends if they
like.  I'll probably be around to answer questions in any case.

at all.  I don't know if this is an xbean-blueprint problem or an aries blueprint problem
or a side effect of running in geronimo.

and kars and geronimo assembly from geronimo plugins.  We now use the same base karaf assembly
stuff as the normal default full karaf assembly (except I might have left out the spring feature
repository).

dependency manager, deployer, and service config builder are set up as osgi declarative services
so they start without any geronimo configuration.  They are generally configured through config
admin as appropriate.  Most of these also have gbean wrappers so they can be accessed through
gbean references.

 The capabilities are similar but not identical.

proxies don't work AFAIK.  Probably one way to fix this would be to expose some more of the
DS components using gbean wrappers, but I haven't looked into this yet.

at all.  We may be able to use command line args to tell the EmbeddedDaemon it's an app client,
or possibly not.  We may be able to use a karaf instance to supply different ConfigAdmin settings
to e.g. the local attribute manager to convince it it's an app client.  Similarly the separate
console-like things presumably won't work either.

component that edits the configuration it gets from the normal configuration manager.  I think
this affects some part of the admin console.

as bundles.    According to http://servicemix.396122.n5.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Enhance-specs-to-work-better-with-JRE-td5001108.html
even if you do get them to work (as we seem to have up to now by not exposing the packages
from the framework) that breaks other stuff.  I think we need to investigate the karaf-activator
stuff guillaume wrote and adapt our specs to use it.  At the moment I have the framework lying
and claiming later versions for the xmlstream and jaxb packages.  I haven't found any documentation
for karaf-activator yet.

during the build with MAVEN_OPTS =  -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -Xms1024m -Xmx2048m

 Again, I have to increase memory settings for the server to fully start.