David, thanks a lot! You deserve a good rest. Please feel free to commit your change into trunk, it's open for your great changes :)

Wish you have a happy and great X'mas holiday!

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 1:10 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
more not-yet-working inline

On Dec 19, 2011, at 5:08 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> I've been spending a lot of time working to rebase geronimo on karaf 3 so we can have a maintainable future and get stuff like osgi 4.3, up to date aries components, and the experimental region support now in karaf.
>
> After a lot of work I have everything except clustering building and after turning off a couple problematic modules the tomcat-javaee6 server starts and the web admin console appears to work at least a little bit.   I'd like a little vacation this year and would like to commit this work first so that others can help with the loose ends if they like.  I'll probably be around to answer questions in any case.
>
> The modules that don't start are:
>
> activemq-broker-blueprint.  The ${X + Y} stuff is not getting evaluated at all.  I don't know if this is an xbean-blueprint problem or an aries blueprint problem or a side effect of running in geronimo.
> As a result activemq-ra and tomcat-console-activemq can't be started.
>
> client-deployer.  I think this is a pretty simple gbean name problem but I haven't looked into it.
>

> Here are some of the changes:
>
> -- assemble the server using a combination of karaf assembly from features and kars and geronimo assembly from geronimo plugins.  We now use the same base karaf assembly stuff as the normal default full karaf assembly (except I might have left out the spring feature repository).
>
> -- basic geronimo components such as the kernel, configuration manager, dependency manager, deployer, and service config builder are set up as osgi declarative services so they start without any geronimo configuration.  They are generally configured through config admin as appropriate.  Most of these also have gbean wrappers so they can be accessed through gbean references.
>
> -- "geronimo" is started from a DS component, EmbeddedDaemon.
>
> -- I think I'm using the karaf remote jmx security rather than ours.  The capabilities are similar but not identical.
>
> Some other things that are not working yet:
>
> -- The (gogo) geronimo console commands that work through "remote" gbean proxies don't work AFAIK.  Probably one way to fix this would be to expose some more of the DS components using gbean wrappers, but I haven't looked into this yet.
>
> -- the app client (as well as the client-deployer) is not working yet at all.  We may be able to use command line args to tell the EmbeddedDaemon it's an app client, or possibly not.  We may be able to use a karaf instance to supply different ConfigAdmin settings to e.g. the local attribute manager to convince it it's an app client.  Similarly the separate console-like things presumably won't work either.
>
> -- the EditableConfigurationManager needs to be replaced by a separate component that edits the configuration it gets from the normal configuration manager.  I think this affects some part of the admin console.

--I couldn't get the xml stream 1.2 and jaxb 2.2 to work with the spec jars as bundles.    According to http://servicemix.396122.n5.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Enhance-specs-to-work-better-with-JRE-td5001108.html even if you do get them to work (as we seem to have up to now by not exposing the packages from the framework) that breaks other stuff.  I think we need to investigate the karaf-activator stuff guillaume wrote and adapt our specs to use it.  At the moment I have the framework lying and claiming later versions for the xmlstream and jaxb packages.  I haven't found any documentation for karaf-activator yet.

-- the build uses a lot more memory.  I typically run out of permgen twice during the build with MAVEN_OPTS =  -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -Xms1024m -Xmx2048m

-- startup AFAIK only works as ./bin/karaf -l rather than our geronimo scripts.  Again, I have to increase memory settings for the server to fully start.

> I'f there's no strong opposition I'd like to commit this tomorrow.
>
> Many thanks
> david jencks

david jencks

--