geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Accepting proposals regarding early git adoption
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2011 20:02:00 GMT
Anyone can already use git locally, there are apache mirrors of most svn projects and many
project's committers expose a lot of work-in-progress on github (e.g. karaf)

See e.g. http://wiki.apache.org/general/GitAtApache

This is asking for projects that would like to use git instead of svn for their canonical
apache repository.  While I enthusiastically use git almost all the time including for almost
all my geronimo work I think geronimo is too complicated to be a useful guinea pig for git
at this point.  I think it will take a lot of thought and time to figure out how to divide
up the geronimo history into appropriately sized git projects.  For instance:

- each spec is separately releasable so it's a separate git project.  Then we need an aggretator
project to build them all at once for convenience.  Same for bundles.
- the server code was originally under cvs at root and only later moved under server.  How
will this history make it into git (this is probably solved already but I haven't looked)

thanks
david jencks