geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Charles Moulliard <cmoulli...@gmail.com>
Subject [Proposition] - Collaboration between Karaf - Geronimo
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 09:55:15 GMT
Hi,

Within mailing list of Karaf, we have started a discussion about the
idea to have a KarafEE release. This idea is similar to the reflection
that OpenEJB team has had with TomEE but using Tomcat as Java
Application Server. As Geronimo uses Karaf as their kernel (which is
not the case for Glassfish, JBoss, Eclipse Virgo, ...) that makes a
lot of sense that we continue to promote karaf as platform not only
for Integration Server like ServiceMix but also for J2EE platform.
Since EJB3 spec and CDI, we see more and more projects interested to
have/use an EJB container on Karaf and use it as an alternative to
Spring (Dynamic Module/Blueprint). Developing a server, certify it,
cost a lot.

As we we do not want to re-invent the wheel and due to number of
resources available, we prefer to capitalize on the work/efforts done.
This is why we come to you to discuss the idea about collaborating
together to improve existing geronimo-karaf platform to address points
mentioned in this thread
(http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/Proposition-Apache-KarafEE-td3585332.html)
to be able to provide a KarafEE or Geronimo distro but using "features
mechanism" of Karaf to deploy OpenEJB, OpenJPA, new Karaf web console,

What do you think about that ?

Regards,

Charles Moulliard

Apache Committer