geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Accepting proposals regarding early git adoption
Date Sat, 03 Dec 2011 18:07:55 GMT
Hi Mark,

Your couchdb links don't seem to me to argue for or against what I was suggesting, other than
pointing out that unless git project == releasable subproject you'll have an impedance mismatch,
which is what I was trying to point out and avoid.

The git docs http://book.git-scm.com/5_submodules.html certainly seem to indicate that my
suggestion should work fine and when I suggested it on the aries list David Bosschart mentioned
that JBoss has been using submodules in this way for a long time with great success.

What's your evidence that submodules won't work for this?

thanks
david jencks

On Dec 3, 2011, at 4:32 AM, Mark Struberg wrote:

> David PLEASE DONT SPLIT ALL INTO SINGLE GIT REPOS!
>

> This is a HUGE nightmare to maintain!
>
> You will NOT be able to just treat this nicely!
>
> Please go over and first read what I wrote on the OpenEJB dev list and what we wrote
together on
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Git_At_Apache_Guide
>
> and especally on
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/SVNvsGIT
>
> Trust me, you don't want to inependently maintain 350 git repos!
>
> There will (to my knowledge) be NO sane way to check out the project in one go anymore!
>
> You could certainly move all specs into one GIT repo, all of geronimo into another, etc
but having too many independent repos is _really_ a nightmare for each developer!