geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: Geronimo 3 and karaf 3
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2011 08:51:07 GMT
Great job David,

It looks good to me (non-binding ;)).

Regards
JB

On 12/20/2011 02:08 AM, David Jencks wrote:
> I've been spending a lot of time working to rebase geronimo on karaf 3 so we can have
a maintainable future and get stuff like osgi 4.3, up to date aries components, and the experimental
region support now in karaf.

> After a lot of work I have everything except clustering building and after turning off
a couple problematic modules the tomcat-javaee6 server starts and the web admin console appears
to work at least a little bit.   I'd like a little vacation this year and would like to commit
this work first so that others can help with the loose ends if they like.  I'll probably be
around to answer questions in any case.

> The modules that don't start are:
>
> activemq-broker-blueprint.  The ${X + Y} stuff is not getting evaluated at all.  I don't
know if this is an xbean-blueprint problem or an aries blueprint problem or a side effect
of running in geronimo.
> As a result activemq-ra and tomcat-console-activemq can't be started.
>
> client-deployer.  I think this is a pretty simple gbean name problem but I haven't looked
into it.

> Here are some of the changes:
>
> -- assemble the server using a combination of karaf assembly from features and kars and
geronimo assembly from geronimo plugins.  We now use the same base karaf assembly stuff as
the normal default full karaf assembly (except I might have left out the spring feature repository).

> -- basic geronimo components such as the kernel, configuration manager, dependency manager,
deployer, and service config builder are set up as osgi declarative services so they start
without any geronimo configuration.  They are generally configured through config admin as
appropriate.  Most of these also have gbean wrappers so they can be accessed through gbean