geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo 3 and karaf 3
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2011 19:06:31 GMT
BTW, to get the regions/isolation stuff working I think we are going to need to replace our
use of BundleListener/SynchronousBundleListener with the (updated-for-4.3) aries RecursiveBundleTracker.
 I think we'll need also change from ConfigurationActivator to an extender pattern.  I'd guess
the ConfigurationActivator functionality could be moved to DependencyManager rather than having
an additional tracker.

thanks
david jencks

On Dec 20, 2011, at 10:13 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> OK, I just committed this stuff, with reference to GERONIMO-6240.
>
> Some more hints....
>
> I can build all the way through with
> MAVEN_OPTS="-XX:MaxPermSize=2048m -Xms2048m -Xmx4096m"
>
> I can start karaf after setting
>
> export JAVA_MAX_MEM=2048m
> export JAVA_MAX_PERM_MEM=512m
>
> The car packaging is set up to stop and wait if it gets stuck.  In an earlier version
of this you'd get the karaf console and you could use karaf commands to investigate what was
going on.  For some reason this isn't working now.  If you get into this situation, you need
to kill the maven java process some way.  Usually setting a breakpoint at DependencyManager
line 571 will show you a bundle that has a resolution problem that you can then fix.

> The problem with the console deploy-type commands I think relates to using the karaf
RMIRegistry.  I'm going to modify it so it includes the port as a service property, then we
can look for the osgi service and get its port instead of the port gbean attribute.

> thanks
> david jencks
>
> On Dec 19, 2011, at 9:10 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>
>> more not-yet-working inline
>>
>> On Dec 19, 2011, at 5:08 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>>
>>> I've been spending a lot of time working to rebase geronimo on karaf 3 so we
can have a maintainable future and get stuff like osgi 4.3, up to date aries components, and
the experimental region support now in karaf.

>>> After a lot of work I have everything except clustering building and after turning
off a couple problematic modules the tomcat-javaee6 server starts and the web admin console
appears to work at least a little bit.   I'd like a little vacation this year and would like
to commit this work first so that others can help with the loose ends if they like.  I'll
probably be around to answer questions in any case.

>>> The modules that don't start are:
>>>
>>> activemq-broker-blueprint.  The ${X + Y} stuff is not getting evaluated at all.
 I don't know if this is an xbean-blueprint problem or an aries blueprint problem or a side
effect of running in geronimo.
>>> As a result activemq-ra and tomcat-console-activemq can't be started.
>>>
>>> client-deployer.  I think this is a pretty simple gbean name problem but I haven't
looked into it.

>>> Here are some of the changes:
>>>
>>> -- assemble the server using a combination of karaf assembly from features and
kars and geronimo assembly from geronimo plugins.  We now use the same base karaf assembly
stuff as the normal default full karaf assembly (except I might have left out the spring feature
repository).

>>> -- basic geronimo components such as the kernel, configuration manager, dependency
manager, deployer, and service config builder are set up as osgi declarative services so they
start without any geronimo configuration.  They are generally configured through config admin
as appropriate.  Most of these also have gbean wrappers so they can be accessed through gbean