Hi Kevan,

I've reviewed the patches and removed company-specific changes, and attached new ones to GERONIMO-6217. These and the old patches are now mentioned in a new CCLA that has been emailed to secretary@apache.org

Thanks!

Trygve

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 10:22 PM, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:

On Nov 18, 2011, at 6:13 AM, Trygve Sanne Hardersen wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 11:40 PM, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > There will be quite a bit of work involved in splitting the patch, and some changes are dependent on others. Before starting this we should come to agreement on which specs upgrades are wanted. This will in most cases decide which major 3rd party frameworks should be upgraded. We should also decide if the "latest and greatest" approach to minor 3rd party libraries (typically commons-libraries) is feasible for Geronimo. There might not be a single answer to this.
>
> Yes. I don't think you should start doing any work splitting things apart. Let's only start that, when we feel it's necessary... Hopefully avoid any unnecessary work...
>
> The biggest issue is likely to be -- can 2.2 pass the TCK with your changes? We'll probably need to level-set our 2.2.1-SNAPSHOT testing -- get an accurate count of tests currently passing, etc. Prior to incorporating any changes.
>
> Is there any way we can do a TCK smoke test at our end?

Hi Trygve,
I'm afraid not (not yet anyway…). We obtain the Java EE TCK under the terms of an NDA. Access to our Java EE TCK materials is limited to Geronimo committers (or committers on other ASF projects) that have signed the NDA.

> There are some potential alternatives to consider -- e.g. build Plugins that can replace server functionality, rather than integrate all function into the server functionality. Much like the old OpenJPA plugin that added JPA 2.0 support, replacing the old JPA function.
>
> This is a good point. We've simply upgraded the plugins, but some should probably be implemented as new plugins instead.
>

> To simplify the software grant portions of the CLA, it will probably be easiest to attach your two patch files to a Jira. Select the "donate to the ASF" button. Then reference these files in the CLA.

Afraid I need to ask for a bit more paperwork. Schedule B of the CCLA needs to reference the software grant. Something like:

"A code grant is attached to the JIRA issue GERONIMO-6217 in the form of two software patches:

geronimo-2.2-1188546.patch and gshell-alpha-1-606434.patch"

Sorry for the hassle. Look forward to getting your updates applied…

--kevan

--
HypoBytes Ltd.
Kirkegata 12