geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Trygve Sanne Hardersen <try...@hypobytes.com>
Subject Re: geronimo 2.2 upgrades
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2011 10:52:59 GMT
Thanks for the feedback Kevan!

We understand from your comments that you are positive with regards to
having the changes integrated with Geronimo, but that they are too
significant to be applied without further discussion. We have no problem
understanding this.

Our goals with the project has been to 1. add some new features (i.e. spec
changes), 2. upgrade to supported versions of 3rd party libraries (for
instance CXF), 3. upgrade to latest version of 3rd party libraries (SLF4J,
Plexus and so on) and 4. better understand the inner workings of Geronimo.
We have not concerned ourselves with TCK compliance, though this
is obviously important from the community perspective.

We have done the project on the 2.2 branch because 3.0 was too unstable (as
in changed too fast) for us to work with. Some of the changes are backports
of your work on 3.0, others should in our opinion be applied to 3.0 as well
(ActiveMQ, CXF), and some are 2.2-specific (GShell).

For the community to better understand the implications of the changes, we
suggest the following approach:

1. We try to split the changes into smaller parts with specific areas of
concern, and create JIRA issues for each of them.
2. The community decides whether or not to accept the issues.
3. We commit and support the accepted issues.

There will be quite a bit of work involved in splitting the patch, and some
changes are dependent on others. Before starting this we should come to
agreement on which specs upgrades are wanted. This will in most cases
decide which major 3rd party frameworks should be upgraded. We should also
decide if the "latest and greatest" approach to minor 3rd party libraries
(typically commons-libraries) is feasible for Geronimo. There might not be
a single answer to this.

Trygve

(we'll email the corporate CLA to secretary@apache.org)