geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Trygve Sanne Hardersen <try...@hypobytes.com>
Subject geronimo 2.2 upgrades
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2011 21:37:41 GMT
Hello,

Our company has done some work lately on upgrading the dependencies used by
Geronimo 2.2. The most notable changes are:

*Specs*
geronimo-ejb_3.0_spec --> geronimo-ejb_3.1_spec
geronimo-jpa_1.0_spec --> geronimo-jpa_2.0_spec
geronimo-annotation_1.0_spec --> geronimo-annotation_1.1_spec
geronimo-jaxb_2.1_spec --> geronimo-jaxb_2.2_spec
geronimo-jaxws_2.1_spec --> geronimo-jaxws_2.2_spec
geronimo-stax-api_1.0_spec --> geronimo-stax-api_1.2_spec
portlet-api_1.0_spec --> portlet-api_2.0_spec

*3rd-party*
ActiveMQ - 5.4.2 --> 5.5.1
OpenJPA - 1.2.2 --> 2.1.1
OpenEJB - 3.1.5-SNAPSHOT --> 3.2.0-SNAPSHOT
Jetty - 7.2.1.v20101111 --> 7.5.4.v20111024
Axis2 - 1.5.4 --> 1.6.1_1
CXF - 2.1.10 --> 2.4.4
Pluto 1.1.6 --> 2.0.3
SLF4J - 1.5.5 --> 1.6.2
Plexus Container - 1.0-alpha-32 --> 1.5.5

+ many other upgrades including new GShell to support the changes above

*Stability*
Most integration tests succeed, with some exceptions:

mvn clean install -DassemblyId=jetty -Pit

testHTTPDataSource(org.apache.geronimo.jaxws.provider.WebProviderTest)
testHTTPDataSource(org.apache.geronimo.jaxws.provider.EJBProviderTest)

We haven't been able to fix these JaxWS issues yet, and will have to
investigate further.

mvn clean install -Pit

testJAXRPCInvocation(org.apache.geronimo.testsuite.testset.WSTest)
testJAXWSInvocation(org.apache.geronimo.testsuite.testset.WSTest)
testJAXRPCWSDL(org.apache.geronimo.testsuite.testset.WSTest)
testJAXWSWSDL1(org.apache.geronimo.testsuite.testset.WSTest)
testHTTPDataSource(org.apache.geronimo.jaxws.provider.WebProviderTest)
testHTTPSourceMessageMode(org.apache.geronimo.jaxws.provider.WebProviderTest)
testHTTPSourcePayloadMode(org.apache.geronimo.jaxws.provider.WebProviderTest)
testHTTPDataSource(org.apache.geronimo.jaxws.provider.EJBProviderTest)
testHTTPSourceMessageMode(org.apache.geronimo.jaxws.provider.EJBProviderTest)
testHTTPSourcePayloadMode(org.apache.geronimo.jaxws.provider.EJBProviderTest)
testPort(org.apache.geronimo.jaxws.wsa.WebWSATest)
testDispatch(org.apache.geronimo.jaxws.wsa.WebWSATest)
testReferenceProperties(org.apache.geronimo.jaxws.wsa.WebWSATest)
testReferencePropertiesDispatch(org.apache.geronimo.jaxws.wsa.WebWSATest)
testWSDL(org.apache.geronimo.jaxws.wsa.WebWSATest)
testPort(org.apache.geronimo.jaxws.wsa.EJBWSATest)
testDispatch(org.apache.geronimo.jaxws.wsa.EJBWSATest)
testReferenceProperties(org.apache.geronimo.jaxws.wsa.EJBWSATest)
testReferencePropertiesDispatch(org.apache.geronimo.jaxws.wsa.EJBWSATest)
testServlet(org.apache.geronimo.testsuite.testset.WebSAAJTest)
testJSP(org.apache.geronimo.testsuite.testset.WebSAAJTest)

As you can see the Axis2 integration is still quite buggy, and will have to
be improved (we're not using it internally).

*Community*
Are you interested in having these changes merged back into the Geronimo
source repository? We would be very happy to see them accepted in some way.

We are aware that the first 3.0 beta has just been released (congrats!),
and don't know how this fits into your 2.2 release policy. We have
previously done internal Geronimo releases using patches, but as the
changeset has grown, this approach is less and less practical. Our feeling
is that we either have to get the work back into Geronimo in some way, or
do a fork. One possibility is to branch 2.2, and apply our changes there.

You can find the latest patches here:

GShell -
https://hypobytes.com/svn/ymir/patches/trunk/gshell-alpha-1-606434.patch
Geronimo -
https://hypobytes.com/svn/ymir/patches/trunk/geronimo-2.2-1188546.patch

Note that these contain some company-specific changes that should be
removed before merging with the main Geronimo source.

Please let us know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Trygve

--