geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: geronimo 2.2 upgrades
Date Sun, 20 Nov 2011 21:22:07 GMT

On Nov 18, 2011, at 6:13 AM, Trygve Sanne Hardersen wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 11:40 PM, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > There will be quite a bit of work involved in splitting the patch, and some changes
are dependent on others. Before starting this we should come to agreement on which specs upgrades
are wanted. This will in most cases decide which major 3rd party frameworks should be upgraded.
We should also decide if the "latest and greatest" approach to minor 3rd party libraries (typically
commons-libraries) is feasible for Geronimo. There might not be a single answer to this.

> Yes. I don't think you should start doing any work splitting things apart. Let's only
start that, when we feel it's necessary... Hopefully avoid any unnecessary work...

> The biggest issue is likely to be -- can 2.2 pass the TCK with your changes? We'll probably
need to level-set our 2.2.1-SNAPSHOT testing -- get an accurate count of tests currently passing,
etc. Prior to incorporating any changes.

> Is there any way we can do a TCK smoke test at our end?

Hi Trygve,
I'm afraid not (not yet anyway…). We obtain the Java EE TCK under the terms of an NDA. Access
to our Java EE TCK materials is limited to Geronimo committers (or committers on other ASF
projects) that have signed the NDA.

> There are some potential alternatives to consider -- e.g. build Plugins that can replace
server functionality, rather than integrate all function into the server functionality. Much
like the old OpenJPA plugin that added JPA 2.0 support, replacing the old JPA function.

> This is a good point. We've simply upgraded the plugins, but some should probably be
implemented as new plugins instead.

> To simplify the software grant portions of the CLA, it will probably be easiest to attach
your two patch files to a Jira. Select the "donate to the ASF" button. Then reference these
files in the CLA.

Afraid I need to ask for a bit more paperwork. Schedule B of the CCLA needs to reference the
software grant. Something like:

"A code grant is attached to the JIRA issue GERONIMO-6217 in the form of two software patches:

geronimo-2.2-1188546.patch and gshell-alpha-1-606434.patch"

Sorry for the hassle. Look forward to getting your updates applied…

--kevan