geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Ivan <xhh...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] What are the most wanted features in final Geronimo 3.0
Date Sat, 24 Sep 2011 13:45:53 GMT
Hi, devs,
    Think that most of work of Geronimo 3.0 beta is done, and we will not
introduce some major changes, and seems that the only dependencies are some
other third party components. Now we could go ahead to have an overview for
Geronimo 3.0. and what features are most important in the 3.0.
    The items below is somewhat I would like to see, and appreciate any
comment.
    a. Server runtime side :
        a1. Now, we have issues while the same packages with different
versions exported, and in the deployment process, currently, a system
property is introduced to identify whether the fixed import version scope is
used, e.g. org.apache.***;version=[1.0,1.0] or org.apache.***;version=1.0.
In the new OSGi 4.3, the new resolver hook API should be helpful for this.
        a2. Remove the dynamic import *, now we use it in two places, one is
in the temp bundle in the deployment process, and another is car package.
        a3. Use application scoped configuration, I have mentioned it in the
past, I really do not like so many system properties in the server codes,
there is a JIRA
GERONIMO-5813<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-5813> for
this. With this, server will have fine-grained configurations per module.
          a4.  Reconsider EAR support, I am thinking that we might still
divide the EAR to n+1 bundles, although it is not required by the Java EE
spec. In some current application programming, it seems to be a default
mind. e.g. Recently, I just fixed an issue in MyFaces integration,
                 as it uses the classloader as the key for each web
application.
      b. Web Service:
         b1. Improve Axis2 integration, now some parsing work is done each
time while starting up the application, e.g. build the endpoint structure.
It is better to have some metadata there, and actually, we have done this on
web application, JSF integration etc.
         b2. Provide a portlet for the web service,  e.g. show web service
information per application, generate client artifacts on the fly etc.
         b3. Better support  for ws-security, I remembered that we have done
some initial integration for this in the past.
     c. Enable Jetty Assembly, most work should be on CXF side, I guess.
     d. Cluster/Farm related features
     e. ActiveMQ integration improvement, we should provide a simple way for
the end users to configure the broker, and also add/remove brokers.
      f. WInk integration improvement,  e.g.
GERONIMO-6122<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-6122>
    g. Take advantage of more OSGi 4.3 new features, I knew that we might
use the new wiring API for calculating wired bundles.
    I knew that David is working on some OSGi-friendly changes, and
introduce the Karaf features, some of the ideas above are required to
consider those changes, anyway, just some ideas, thoughts ? :-)
--
Ivan