geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Russell E Glaue <rgl...@cait.org>
Subject Re: [Discussion] why does geronimo set org.apache.catalina.STRICT_SERVLET_COMPLIANCE=true?
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2011 19:33:45 GMT
I do not know the answer, but have two suggestions as why this is necessary.

1. First, we should be trying to make servlet compliance identical (as much as
possible) between Jetty and Tomcat, and any future Servlet container. Being
strict can better ensure cross-servlet-container compatibility.

2. I would assume the ...STRICT_COMPLIANCE=false allows the software to be
forgiving to users that may use older syntax, or to make the servlet more
backwards compatible.

I would suggest that unless necessary to do otherwise, we should always observe
strict compliance. Strict Compliance should be interpreted as requiring the
exact unforgiving syntax for servlet compliance.

I would also suggest that if the spring sample travel does not work well in the
latest version of tomcat under Geronimo, that it be updated to meet the current
specific strict servlet requirements.
Perhaps one reason tomcat has SERVLET_COMPLIANE=false is to make the older
sample webapps compliant so that time was not spent on upgrading the old webapp.
And perhaps this webapp is an example for the reason why the tomcat has this set
to false by default in the first place.

IMO, Better to be strict and enforce compliance, because at some point the old
deprecated syntax has to go away. And with current configuration, we alert the
Geronimo admin about the uncompliant configuration, and they can choose to fix
the compliance issue, and set the STRICT_COMPLIANCE flag to false and have some
breathing room time to fix the issue.

-RG