geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Russell E Glaue <rgl...@cait.org>
Subject Re: PortOffset for o.a.karaf.shell.ssh
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2011 14:01:00 GMT

On 08/31/2011 10:18 PM, Jarek Gawor wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Shawn Jiang <genspring@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> We just turn it off by default,  the user can still open it easily if they
>> want.
>
> Is it? What does the user need to do today to turn it back on? Modify
> the geronimo script? I think a system property set on the command line
> wins over the property set in etc/system.properties.

Ideally
1. the SSH Service is on by default
2. It uses the admin config service - i.e. var/config-substitutions.properties
3. a command line option can turn it off or on and change the binding port
4. a configuration in var/config-substitutions.properties can turn it off or on
5. the ssh service's bind port appears in the list of services in the server
startup output.

None of these are currently done.

The problem was expressed that though we want the ideal, no one knows right know
how to make karaf work in this way. This means we need two configuration files,
one for karaf and one for the rest of Geronimo if we want the SSH service to be
configurable. This results in a non-conformity - not using a single
configuration file for all parts of the Geronimo Server.

So to avoid confusion with first-time users who are expecting the conformity of
all services using the single configuration file, we turn the ssh service off by
default. In this way, when Geronimo is shipped, it is shipped with conformity in
using the single configuration file for the Geronimo Server.

Then we add a JIRA to have this issue made into the ideal configuration.

In the mean time, those of use who are no novice with Geronimo, and looking for
the additional service, can read and become aware of the current issue and
modify the secondary and non-conforming configuration file to turn the service
on and use it.

IMO - all services should conform with the config admin service, otherwise be
turned off by default (with option to turn on) until it can be made to conform.
In full releases, non-conformities will cause issues I think we should avoid. If
this was a snapshot, then perhaps the non-conformity could persist, as it did
with the ActiveMQ issue (GERONIMO-5987), though it was a show-stopper issue for me.